Draft Selection Policy

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
grolsh

Post by grolsh » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:04 am

I have just read the draft selection policy for next year and 2012 and must admit to being rather confused. It would appear to be very biased toward existing team members, with anyone else who might afterall be a better paddler, not getting the same opportunity to train on the water that a team member has. Why not use HPP where at least we can all train?? Is this another example of us all being equal apart from those who are more equal than others??
The other thing that I hadn't realised was just who is the chair of the international panal............ surely with a paddler in 2 classes, this cannot be seen as fair to either her or the paddlers.

Anonymous...........

Anne

Post by Anne » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:14 am

Yes I am chair of the International Panel and have been for the past 5 years and this has never been a secret - please if you have issues with this I am more than happy to discuss either face to face on the phone, however anonymous comments such as this one are very unfair and uncalled for.

I am there not because of Richard but as chair of the Slalom Committee therefore for all the paddlers out there - I fight wholeheartedly to ensure as much fairness as is possible for all paddlers whether already on the team or otherwise (and are probably much harder on my own son than I would anyone else!!). All other IP members would vouch for this. he has his place because of hard work, dedication and commitment, not because of me!

The Olympic selection cycle started this year - everyone had the chance to be on the team at selection.

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:26 am

There is a note about this in the committtee minutes from the last meeting (available on the front page), though I still don't think it is fair as water time will be allocated by GB Canoeing who could opt to allow those available for selection time on the water when they should be at school/ work if they wanted to.

As for the second point. Anne, I know you are on the panel due to your position as committee chair but where there is such a blatent conflict of interest it would have been sensible (and would have covered your back from comments such as the above) to hand over the position to someone else on the committee who either didn't have a conflict at all or at least has a more arms length one. It surprises me that this hasn't become an issue earlier. Perhaps it is something the committee should consider given the significance of next years selection?

*Edited as Anne's response came in while I was typing mine.
** PS I think you all know who I am so there is no anon intent!

John Sturgess

Post by John Sturgess » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:02 am

Michelle

Remind me

Who are you?

John

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:11 am

John

The short one commonly found swimming down rivers :D

Munchkin!!!

Mark Shaw

Post by Mark Shaw » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:32 pm

If we are talking about equality and fairness then I'm surprised the subject of allowing the GB coaches to set the courses for selection hasn't come up for discussion before now. It would be very easy to favour a specific paddler with a certain crunch move on any course but probably more so with the limited water time most paddlers will have on the Lee Valley course. May be we should be asking a couple of independent coaches to set the courses for selection instead to rule out any accusation of bias?
The above is the personal opinion of Mark Shaw and does not reflect the views of either the BCU or England Slalom Committees.