Race cards!

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
tomkin

Race cards!

Post by tomkin » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:10 pm

I have to say that getting race cards this season has been a real headache. I looked forward to a batch arriving with each handbook BUT they never came so I scrabbled around for a few for the first race .Next I sent off my SAE for a new batch for a few more races as directed on the slalom website. I waited and waited then today the Royal Mail sent me a torn up envelope in a plastic bag which I assume someone had thought contained a cheque book and hence worth stealing.I now have wasted time, two first class stamps and my temper!
Please is there any other way of obtaining some race cards ?

Dee

Re: Race cards!

Post by Dee » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:46 am

You could probably claim the cost of the two first class stamps back from Royal Mail, though dealing with them probably won't help your temper :wink: There isn't really much you can do other than send off for more cards and hope you are more successful next time. You might be able to blag a couple of cards at a race (if you are very lucky) or from someone else, but all that really does is pass the problem to someone else.

One day we will have cardless races, online entry systems and a centralised payment system, but until that time comes .......
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

boatmum

Post by boatmum » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:11 pm

I am just thinking aloud now - so don't shoot me ! :)

Would there be any mileage in having a printable PDF version of the entry card on the website that folk could download and print off on thick copy paper? Most modern printers let you print both sides now days?

pinkboat

Post by pinkboat » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:43 am

I also had some arrive in torn envelope in a royal mail plastic bag, there was about 8 cards left. Not nearly enough to send off all the entries needed for the first races and selection. A printable version would be amazing!

drascombeman

Post by drascombeman » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:03 pm

race cards is one thing, still waiting for bib to arrive.

321go

Post by 321go » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:16 pm

Given that several of last years events were run successfully as 'cardless', including InterClubs, is there a need to complete a card where there will be cardless events? - Prem / Div 1 races. A PDF entry completed on line , printed & sent with cheque on this would be suffice I would have thought.

We really need to get the on-line entry system set up to bring the sport forward.

P

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:15 am

Provided you give me all the relevant details I will accept entries for the races I am organising without cards. Under 16s will need someone to come and confirm their entry if no card.

Dee

Post by Dee » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:23 am

boatmum wrote:I am just thinking aloud now - so don't shoot me ! :)

Would there be any mileage in having a printable PDF version of the entry card on the website that folk could download and print off on thick copy paper? Most modern printers let you print both sides now days?
In theory it sounds good, but it wouldn't work. The cards need to be exactly the same size for managebility when you have a stack of 300 and they need to be on a decent card to withstand a weekend of handling in a damp environment. Whilst some people would be sensible, I think one in seven entries would come in uncut/printed single sided/printed on A4 paper.

I believe cardless is the way to go, but as far as I know only Prems have been run this way so far. Have any lower divisions been run in the same way?

Think I might chat to timing team this year and see whether we could run cardless at Sheppy next year.

If it's an option then I'll develop something for next year (if I can persuade Forbes to assist with a few bits). Will still need cheques though, unless we have a centralised payment team.
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

BaldockBabe

Post by BaldockBabe » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:16 pm

Dee, We are running it cardless this year! All P/1 events will be cardless. It is, however, up to the organisers how they want to accept entries.

Dee

Post by Dee » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:50 pm

I didn't know this!

And since most entries are in now I will stay with the cards route for the remaining few.

Next year we will have online entry. (although may still need to send cheques).

Kendall

Post by Kendall » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:44 pm

If nicking "cheque books" is a problem, perhaps taping a race card to the back of the envelope might deter the thieves!

James Hastings

Post by James Hastings » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:04 pm

I was lucky enough to receive my requested race cards yesterday despite the envelope having been neatly sliced open, I assume to check whether it was full of chequebook. The fact that a number of us in different areas have had the same issue suggests that the problem may lie in the local sorting office to Mrs Patterson. It may be worth reporting this to the Royal Mail.

James

Terryg

Post by Terryg » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:02 am

My envelope was also 'Damaged'.

davieq

Post by davieq » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:49 pm

My envelope also showed signs of 'tampering'.

TOG

Post by TOG » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:13 pm

I wrote "Not a chequebook" on the back of my envelope and the cards arrived safely. :D Perhaps whoever it is has got the message...