6.3 Short Season Ranking

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Canadian Paddler

6.3 Short Season Ranking

Post by Canadian Paddler » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:28 pm

There is occasional confusion over the precise meaning of the words in rule B3.1 regarding protection from demotion. In order to clarify the intent, the order of the words will be amended (Page 55)
B3.1 Promotion during the season through the divisions is based on performance at events as set out in rules B4 below. Promotion and demotion also occur at the end of each season, as decided by the Committee, when ranking lists have been finalised. Competitors promoted during a season or granted ranking status after 31st July are designated 'Short Season'. Competitors promoted during a season are also designated ‘Short Season’. and are not liable for demotion Those designated Short Season will not be demoted at the end of that season.

Edited to correct the deletion and separate the clauses properly 17 Nov 19:36
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Neil H

Re: 6.3 Short Season Ranking

Post by Neil H » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:48 pm

Is it possible to clarify the phrase as 'as decided by the committee'. Presumably the decision is made against a criteria which remains fixed, season to season. Would it be better for paddlers to know what the cut off is and have that in the wording?

Also, should the wording be amended to say - Competitors promoted during the season - instead of Competitors promoted during a season

Canadian Paddler wrote:There is occasional confusion over the precise meaning of the words in rule B3.1 regarding protection from demotion. In order to clarify the intent, the order of the words will be amended (Page 55)
B3.1 Promotion during the season through the divisions is based on performance at events as set out in rules B4 below. Promotion and demotion also occur at the end of each season, as decided by the Committee, when ranking lists have been finalised. Competitors promoted during a season or[/color] granted ranking status after 31st July are designated 'Short Season'. Competitors promoted during a season are also designated ‘Short Season’. and are not liable for demotion Those designated Short Season will not be demoted at the end of that season.

BaldockBabe

Post by BaldockBabe » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:06 pm

Neil. I think the criteria needs to be changeable each year as the demotions are a tool to enable the pyramid structure to remain and therefore the numbers will change depending on the number of promotions...

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:43 pm

1) the wording of '"promoted during A season" is not a change from the current rule. I believe it is correct as the rule is applicable to any season, not a specific one ('a' rather than the')

2) Promotion and demotion are, as munchkin says, the tools used to try to preserve the pyramidal shape. Previous reviews of the mechanism have concluded that specifying this would not be in the interest of the sport. It would also lead to paddlers missing promotion or demotion by just a couple of points, currently teh lines can be drawn at natural breaks in the ranking. However, feel free to develop a proposal for the 2015 ACM. Too late for this one I am afraid.
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.

Neil H

Post by Neil H » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:06 pm

Pyramid ^ ^ wise - fair enough, I knew there would be a reason

The A/The thing wasn't serious. However, in the case of The A Team it would be as it would be A A Team and that would make for a boring show

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:11 pm

But the AA team would remain sober, and be handy when a paddler breaks down :oops:

Neil H

Post by Neil H » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:29 am

I only started drinking after all this canoeing stuff ...hic

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:19 pm

This motion was handled under article 5.9 and voted on immediately. It accepted nem con.