Back to Slaloms

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
JimW

Re: Back to Slaloms

Post by JimW » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:39 pm

PeterC wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:07 pm
In Scotland we had planned on groups of 8 but has been reduced to 6 and only 2 households so much more difficult...
I thought that if all the extra conditions can be met the 6 & 2 can still be relaxed here? - admittedly I am looking at info last updated on the 14th, a lot can happen in 5 days with this virus. If not I don't see how we can have an event at all.

I have entered, but I received a text message from my GP surgery a couple of days ago saying that their practice area has one of the highest covid rates in Scotland and is rising (followed by a repeat of government advice in block caps which irritated me slightly), so who knows what restrictions I might be under by then. I'm still keen to support it if it can go ahead and I am allowed to go.

Mike Mitchell

Post by Mike Mitchell » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:52 pm

So we held a Slalom on the Yat today, with some 30 competitors.
South West regional Open. [ Perfect River Levels ]
Synchronised Stopwatch timing, with a Split on the Start and Finish Gate, same starter and finisher for all runs. I calculate that gives us an accuracy of + or - 0.20 secs. Two Judges on 22 Gates. We just need one person to calculate the results and post online.
If the Welsh were not all locked in and there wasn't one of those Southern Region, take all the Clubs best paddlers training camps on, numbers could have been much bigger.
We even had a Veterans Class.
Good to be back racing

BaldockBabe

Post by BaldockBabe » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:13 pm

Thats so good to hear Mike. I am genuinely pleased that it went down well. I am looking forward to having a UK event to go to!

I have been lucky enough to have been at 3 internationals in the last few weeks and the feeling of being back helping at events (and catching up with friends) was nice. It was strange that we had to wear masks the whole time and there was no hugging but it was worth it!