World Ranking Points at the BritishOpen

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
John Sturgess

Post by John Sturgess » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:34 pm

I am not ranting or raving yet - but I am certainly puzzled. Can anyone help to unpuzzle me?

I asked at Llangollen why only 6 GBR paddlers per class were allowed to enter for the World Ranking Event, and was told that this was an ICF requirement.

I decided, when I had time, to research this - unfortunately the ICF site does not seem to contain any rules for the World Ranking Series.

I have only had time to look at one other World Ranking event so far: the Slovak Open; and then only the KIM class. At this event every KIM paddler who paddled got World Ranking points, right down to the last paddler who finished 114th.

That included 12 Slovenes, 9 Japanese, 8 French, 7 Czechs, and 7 Brits. Oh, not forgetting 29 Slovaks. All of them got World Ranking points.

What is more, of the 44 British KIM paddlers who paddled at Llangollen, 19 were among the 21 British KIM paddlers who have earned World Ranking Points during 2009 - so who decided that only 6 of those 21 were to be allowed to gain World Ranking points at their home event, and why?

Of incidental reference to the other thread about changing promotion rules to slow down promotion - those 29 Slovaks included 15 Juniors - 1 J11, 3 J12's, and 2 J13's among them. Of those last 6, 3 swam on one run and got 50's on the other. Another got a 50 on each run; and two managed 1 run without a 50. If that made them not ready to paddle at that level, then a few Prem paddlers weren't ready to paddle at Llangollen!

Nicky

Post by Nicky » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:47 pm

That sounds like a rant to me :) , but I was puzzled too, but wasn't too bothered as I only raced to get prem points. I don't think that my World Ranking points would put me anywhere in the world worth shouting about. I might have beaten them under 11s though, but sounds like a few of the other nippers would have had a good result in the UK. How many 50s were there in the semi? I know our Darren got 9!

John did anyone get a bye into the final at any of the other races, because i didn't get that either. But like i say i was happy with my prem result and the whole world ranking thing went way over my head!

John Sturgess

Post by John Sturgess » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:29 pm

Because everyone was in the main race there was no question of anyone getting a bye into the final: if they failed to make the semis (as quite a few well-known paddlers did, including ex-World Champion David Ford, and all the Brits except Campbell Walsh, that was it!)

John Sturgess

Post by John Sturgess » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:03 pm

This was a question: is nobody going to answer on behalf of the organisers/the Slalom Committee? Someone must know who made the decision, and why!

Mark Shaw

Post by Mark Shaw » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:24 am

Hi John, this isn't an official response you understand but I can confirm that all World Ranking Series races this year should have had a maximum entry of 6 boats per class per nation as far as ranking points are concerned.

I've only checked the German Open (only 6 German boats got ranking points), the Prague Trojan Horse (only 6 Czech boats got ranking points), and the Foix race (only 6 French boats got ranking points). At all these races there was also a large number of home nation boats in the Open event.

It would therefore appear that only the Slovak Open has been allowed to get away with submitting results that don't follow the published rules. I suspect this is a mistake by the ICF however, as I was at the Slovak Open this year and the organiser clearly stated that only the nominated 6 boats from each nation would get ranking points.

Hope this helps.

Mark
The above is the personal opinion of Mark Shaw and does not reflect the views of either the BCU or England Slalom Committees.

John MacLeod

Post by John MacLeod » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:55 pm

Try this = http://www.123result.com/worldranking.aspx
It's provisional - a minority of errors in nations having more than six per class. Quite an impressive database!

John Sturgess

Post by John Sturgess » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:45 am

Thanks Mark and John - puzzlement solved - Murphy's law pointed me towards the one misleading set of results!

John

Post by John » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:12 pm

How are the World Ranking points calculated? Seems strange that you get better points for winning the British Open with only 9 international entries than being 7th at the World Championships.

Mark Shaw

Post by Mark Shaw » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:01 pm

The above is the personal opinion of Mark Shaw and does not reflect the views of either the BCU or England Slalom Committees.