Looking After Each Other

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Dee

Re: Looking After Each Other

Post by Dee » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:59 am

There's been a few mentions of signage on here.

For those that don't know, there is a whole heap of signs that organisers are required to display - first aid, child welfare, jury info, risk statement, welfare officer, photography, etc etc. Then there's the local one's that need to go up, in our case these include time of judges meeting, explanation of pre-touch rule, warnings re slippery areas, not allowed on the weir bridge, tow back warnings, must have a bib to paddle, judging rota etc, etc

Finally, there is the start list.

And which one do paddlers actually read?

Yes, next year I might add a two paddler rule notice (and probably a no refunds notice). But is there really any point?

Waiting for the next two paddlers is a rule, it's in the rule book. Perhaps we should just print and display the whole rule book!
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:01 am

D3.3
There must be safety and rescue services as appropriate to
the conditions, or as directed by the Slalom Committee or
the Chief Judge. If rescue arrangements are not provided, a
clear sign must be placed near the finish indicating the
approved rescue distance for Competitors who have fin-
ished their runs.

Dee

Post by Dee » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:28 am

:D :D a slight contradiction there I think :D

The best place at Shepperton is prob between start and finish, though putting a sign there could prove a little tricky!
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

BaldockBabe

Post by BaldockBabe » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:04 pm

Dee wrote:
The best place at Shepperton is prob between start and finish, though putting a sign there could prove a little tricky!
Simples! We put you on a raft in the middle and get you to hold the sign :-D

Dee

Post by Dee » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:37 pm

BaldockBabe wrote:
Dee wrote:
Simples! We put you on a raft in the middle and get you to hold the sign :-D
MMmmmm! :lol:

Dee

Post by Dee » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:39 pm

Actually, not such a bad idea. Anyone thinking they have a right to a refund would have to go to extraordinary lengths to request one.

TOG

Post by TOG » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:15 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

JimW

Post by JimW » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:15 pm

So, the emphasis needs to shift to the clubs to ensure they train both competitors and some parents in rescue techniques, preferably encouraging some of the parents to start paddling and learn to act as safety/rescue cover during club sessions, and then encourage them to put a creek boat on the car when taking their offspring to a race and making themselves available to the organiser. In fact, don't just turn up and volunteer, make proper use of organisers email addresses to offer in advance (instead of confirming entry) so the organiser has some idea how big a safety crew they will have available.

To be honest this is how I got into slalom - I joined the club to learn to paddle my C1 properly in support of my OC1 river running (no intention of racing), saw a note asking for helpers at a race the club organised last year and volunteered. Chris was a bit short of bank safety cover so I did that, borrowed a K1 and tried racing as an official.
Now I'm racing K1 and C1 (not very well but enjoying it anyway) and still helping out local(ish) events - I've volunteered to do safety for the first 2 Grandtully events (Prem and Div 1), and for the Pinkston events (Div 2/3 and Div 1). The 2/3 depends on being able to roster safety sessions between my race runs, but we managed to make it work at the Scottish champs last year.

So I'm going to make an open offer - any race organiser that sees my name in their entries and needs extra safety volunteers, please feel free to ask - if I'm racing K1 and C1 it might be tricky to schedule, but whilst I am in different divisions there will be events where I am only paddling one class and it is much easier. As long as I know in advance I can bring river running gear as well as race gear.

Getting back to the original question of boats staying on the water, and paddlers not being half out and not paying attention - when I paddle C1 I am guilty of releasing my straps as soon as I can after crossing the finish line which some might interpret as not giving the safety cover my full attention, but I am prepared and ready to give chase without wasting time putting them back on. I'm hoping my endurance will increase over time...

Jim Wallis
K1M Div 2 bib 149
C1M Div 3 bib 2