Southern Slalom - history of

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Fup Duck

Post by Fup Duck » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:14 pm

I hear people talk of slalom events that took place in the south in the past. I'm told that some were even Div 2 events.
I'm curious to know what they were, why they ceased and if they could ever be revived???
I'm sure someone can advise

Terryg

Post by Terryg » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:56 pm

Thames weirs:
Old Windsor, Hambledon, Abingdon.

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:31 pm

Old Windsor and Hamledon held div 1s as well as div 2s.
Go back further there were events at Marsh (complete with pinning risk) :((

Old Windsor stopped as the farmer was not happy with the damage to the field, then Windsor slalom group dispursed. May be able to re approach the farmer again.

I think Hambledon and Abingdon suffered from dwindling slalom paddlers at the organising clubs
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:04 pm

As far as I understood it, the weir at Hambledon was modified in such a way that it made it dangerous to paddle there. I believe it was further modified a few years ago to make it safe, but then there was nobody left to resurrect the race.

Hambledon was an excellent race, but I imagine it was a pig to put up. I think it involved all sorts of wooden A frames set up on an island. I don't know if there is anybody still active who was involved in the organisation.

Nicky

Post by Nicky » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:09 am

Chalfont park are based there still and a few slalom paddlers do venture up there in high water, but not sure how good a race would be up there with all the mods.

I think that there are only a few river levels when it's fun!

Boulters would be a brilliant venue if you could guarantee the water, but i don't think that the locals would be happy if you guaranteed the water was in their living rooms! It does take a lot for this one to be a goer!

I think that the arrival of Broxbourne will see the chance of old venues being resurrected dwindle with a lot of focus being placed on the new venues...

PaulBolton

Post by PaulBolton » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:42 am

Wasn't there a low division slalom on Marlow weir once? I remember doing a slalom at Hambledon in the early 80s. I think we won or came second in the Saturday team event with Bill Horsman and Andy Rance. I don't think Hambledon is paddled much now, everyone goes to Hurley.

Anne

Post by Anne » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:40 am

There were races at Old Windsor and Hambledon, and lower divisions at Abingdon plus another thames one that I recall, Reading, Guilford, Rickmansworth, Sharnbrook, Denham, Bath, Taunton to name but a few!!!

andya

Post by andya » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:48 am

davebrads wrote:Hambledon was an excellent race, but I imagine it was a pig to put up. I think it involved all sorts of wooden A frames set up on an island. I don't know if there is anybody still active who was involved in the organisation.

Neil Underwood used to organise Hambledon on behalf of Chalfont Park Club. We still see him around and hes paddling D2 with his son who has made D2 this year. We chatted about the demise of "the 'don" a while back, was a great slalom. I must have been to a dozen of them of various divisions.

Another Thames weir slalom was Mapledurham. Symonds Yat used to hold a D2 as well.

Denham, Sharnbrooke, Red locks .. Anne you're quoting my first slaloms ... great events. So I'll add Dobbs Wier on the Lee to that list.

Annes post here listed a lot more:
http://ccgi.millband.plus.com/cgi-bin....6;st=25

Out of interest I looked at a 1992 year book at events accessable from the SW - there were many,

Devon
- Head Weir, Exeter CC,
- Holne Park, Bristol CC,

Somerset
- French Weir, Taunton CC,
- 2 at Langham Farm, Frome CC,
- Poultney Weir, Bath Uni CC.

Dorset
- Winchester x 2, Winchester CC,
- Canford Weir, Winchester CC,

Worcestershire
- Martley, Kinver CC,

also Redlocks, Newbury CC and Abingdon, Kingfisher CC.
Andy
(D1 K1 1981, D2 C1&C2 2010)

Martyn Setchell

Post by Martyn Setchell » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:55 pm

Cookham Weir was a good venue . Access for camping was via common ground so organisers cars only and trailer user for the rest. It may have changed.
Boulters Weir was mentioned below but access is a problem. The walkway across the weir only had handrail on one side.

Fup Duck

Post by Fup Duck » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:38 pm

A wealth of knowledge here and many interesting comments.

I see the point about Broxbourne but also think it would be good to investigate the possibility of resurrection. Things change, including landowners. I personally don't know these venues as I'm a newcomer but it would be nice to have an option of some races where you don't have to travel miles.

If anyone considers they are party to any information regarding landowners or anything relevant, why not make some enquiries. Or I could if you ain't got time.

Can the south rise again?

Anne

Post by Anne » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:12 pm

Yey Martin! Cookham remember it well a reall trek with camping gear!!! did C2 in a banana boat there more than 30 years ago!!!!(before James) and Dobbs - thought of that but couldn't remember name! went to winchester regularly as well!!!

Oh good old days!!!!!!!!!!!!!

andya

Post by andya » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:53 pm

Cookham .. yep how could I forget that walk ...

So 6 (or 7) Thames weir slaloms in downstream order

Abingdon
Mapledurham
Hambledon
(Marlow?)
Cookham
Old Windsor,
Shepperton

Any more??
Andy
(D1 K1 1981, D2 C1&C2 2010)

jke

Post by jke » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:27 pm

And Pontrilas (N), Pont Ar Ithon (N), Ludlow (3), Bevere Weir (3), Elan Valley (3), Builth (2).
John Kent

PaulBolton

Post by PaulBolton » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:02 pm

Poultney Weir!! I now remember doing that slalom in the early 80's - I recall it was right in the centre of Bath. There was a reverse gate immediately above the weir and one immediately below. We had loads of problems in the C2 until we just did both backwards including the drop. Great fun!

oldandslow

Post by oldandslow » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:22 pm

I went to a slalom somewhere near Slough in the early 80's, but I can't remember what the weir was called. All I can recall is the smell! Not much help that, I suppose!!!:rock:
Life is what happens when you're making other plans.