Double event promotions - Entry fee calculations

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
slink

Post by slink » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:54 pm

Has anyone come up with an easy way or working out how much a promotee has to pay (or needs to be refunded) after the first day of a double? We had several promotions at Alva from div 4 to div 3 who needed to pay more, and from div 3 to div 2 who needed a refund.

There seem to be about 4 different ways of working the amount owed (or owing) out!

The first suggestion was to charge the 2 single fees, which I hope isn't right, as this really penalises the paddler for benig promoted! Having received a discount for entering both days, they have to pay this back and pay the extra for the new division. (£4.50 for div 4 to div 3 for a junior).

The reverse of this does seem to be true when a paddler is promoted out of the event (such as Div 3 to 2 at a Div 3/4 event) - the difference between the double and single fee is refunded, as they don't get a discount for only entering one day...although this again does slightly penalise the paddler. (£4.25 refund for a div 3 to div 2 promotion for a junior).

The next option is to work out the difference between the old double fee and the new, and halve it (as they'll only be doing one race in the higher division). £2.12 1/2 for div 4 to div 3 (junior)...or rounded to £2.

Another option is to work out the double fee for the new division, and refund the single fee for the old division, but on some (perhaps all, I haven't tried) this ends up costing the paddler less than the original fee, so is not a good option for the organiser!

There then comes an issue on the summary sheets, as the paddler will now be shown as a single entry in each division, instead of a double, and will thus attract more fees from the organiser (except when promoted from div 4 where the organiser wouldn't have to pay anything for the div 4 entry).

We had people from 4 clubs who run events at our competition last weekend, and no one seemed sure...is there a hard & fast rule?

Steve

carealto

Post by carealto » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:39 am

At Oughtibridge at the weekend my daughter (promoted to div 2 on Saturday) got charged on the basis of a Single div 3 entry (£4.25 refund from her double fee) - this was then put towards a div 4 single entry in C1 (with an extra 25p required).

As the organisers (presumably) have to hand over money to the slalom committee based on the single entry, this sounds fair (on the part of the club). Perhaps there should be a change to what needs to be paid to the slalom committee in this situation as you can presumably provide them with the original entry cards to show that it was a double entry.

If the organising club absorbed any extra cost of refunds it would unfairly penalise events at the end of the season (where there are going to be more promotions of ranked competitors) compared to those at the beginning.

A charge of half of the double fee sounds like a good target to aim for.

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:14 am

Peterborough has always charged half of the difference between the double fees and swallowed the extra admin fee, somethign about "Putting Paddlers First". Wel that and teh fact that the paddler feels that it is OK and comes back in different classes (or is convinced to try anther class). :D
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Seedy Paddler

Post by Seedy Paddler » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:56 am

Steve

At Seaton for promotions 4-3 we add the respective double entry fees then divide by 2 and calculate the difference. As there is no levy on Div 4 we class as single entry in calculation of Levies for Div 3 on 2nd day.

For promotions 3-2 it is simpler as we will revert to a single entry and offer refunds to those that ask. Declare and pay levies on single entry.

It does get more confusing when you have multiple class entries and multiple entry discounts etc., which is why I would sooner have an overall lower and simpler fee structure

There was a further Club Organiser (circa 30+ years experience) at the event but unfortunately you didn't ask

CD

slink

Post by slink » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:08 pm

<Embarrassed mode on> Sorry! I had badgered you quite a lot about all sorts of other things though!!!

That's pretty much what I came up with, which is £2.12 1/2 for a div 4 to div 3 promotion, so we charged £2 and swallowed the difference. This means we're out of pocket on the entry fee and the single levy (it's more than half double levy per day), but hey, it's about getting bodies in boats, and we had 6 promotions, so we're only out of pocket by about £10.

As long as they competed at least once, it doesn't make any difference to multi class (I eventually worked out)...for example Alex entered div 3 C1 double and div 2/3 C2 double. She got multi class on the C2 entry of £3. When she got promoted in C1 on Saturday, we refunded her C1 entry, but she was still entitled to the multi class on C2, as it's only given once for a double entry fee, and she would still have got it even if she originally entered C1 single / C2 double...I think :O

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:53 pm

Slink could I give you a warning, all this constructive interest in getting it right might find you with much more to do!!! You risk getting shanghied onto committees etc.

Thanks for all the effort though and please do not be put off we need more like you.

slink

Post by slink » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:12 pm

Peter, thanks, I'll go and hide now! It might already be too late though - I am sure Jim & Ken will fill you in about our experiments at Alva!

oldschool

Post by oldschool » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:37 pm

As I understand it its 2 single fees! Very expensive :blush: