5.2 Buoyancy Aids - 2011 ACM Motions

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:14 pm

The ICF rules on buoyancy aids are targeted at international competitions, and are not appropriate for the varied ages and body weights found in UK Competitions.

Amend Rule C19.2 (page 79) as follows:

UK C.19.2.1 A Buoyancy Aid must be EN/ISO certified {delete}(60 Newton flotation) and licenced by the ICF. During competition, the buoyancy aid could be tested by ICF officials with a 6Kg legalised lead weight or equivalent in other metals appropriate for the competitor’s body weight, and manufactured within the regulation period prior to the event. {/delete} Marking of the buoyancy jacket must fulfil the EN/ISO 12402-5 norm to allow checking of the equipment by {delete}ICF{/delete} Officials.
The buoyancy aid must not be modified in any way at all.
C.19.22 …
Remove references to Buoyancy aid in the UK extension to this rule.

This motion will initially be handled under 75/25 arrangements. That is it will be briefly introduced and an immediate vote taken. If there is more than 75% support, the motion will be adopted. If there is less than 25% support the motion will fail. If the motion receives between 25% and 75% support, it will be debated before a second vote is taken, in which a simple majority will suffice
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Nicky

Post by Nicky » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:48 pm

I don't want to buy a new ba? i bought one just over a year ago and would like to think it has a few more races left in it. I only really race in it and don't want to have to replace it.

If this goes through I'll have to buy a new BA at the expense of a race or two, I'm not in a position to splaash that sort of cash, especially if someone makes me buy a helmet... I like racing! so please son't make me miss any!

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:22 am

Seems like the {delete}{/delete} did not work here. :(

The current rule matches the ICF one from the start of the season, i.e. MUST be 60N and ICF licenced.

The change is intended to remove the 60N/ICF licence for UK competition. So match ISO (which implies correct for body weight, so I need a bigger BA than a 10 year old).

So no need to buy a new BA unless it is not ISO certified.
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.

oldschool

Post by oldschool » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:04 am

so does this mean we have to have the reflective strips? If so when are the Slalom Committee going to provide a complete new set of bibs for all classes and divisions with reflective properties so as to not make the new regulations a complete farce? If your covering up a reflective strip with a non reflective material for the duration of the race what is the point in requiring the reflective material in the first place?

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:09 pm

Just to repeat the rule IS at the moment that you have to have a BA to the EN/ISO standard. That is not changing. So reflective strips are no more an issue if this passes than if it fails.

If this fails it is new BAs all round as they have to be ICF certified. AND Peter Curry and I use the same BA as a J6 paddler - if the J6 can reach the water! thats it, I will repeat myself here now more

Seedy Paddler

Post by Seedy Paddler » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:12 pm

To Be Honest - I do not think there should be a vote on this rule it is an obligation for the BCU Slalom Committee to amend the rule as described and not to accept full ICF Ruling in this case.

Quite simply if the BCU invokes full ICF Rules for Junior paddlers they are taking on the liability in the event of an accident with a Junior (or small lady) wearing an oversize Buoyancy Aid to meet their rules. Just as well our NGBs have their highly valued Public Liability Insurance.

As there is a requirement for Event Organisers to provide a Risk Assessment to support their events in 2012. Will BCU Slalom Exec publish the Risk Assessment to support the competition rules.

I can advise that in the event this change is not endorsed I will include in my Event Risk Assessment and negate the rule as a responsible action!

CD