The Olympic Course

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Terryg

Post by Terryg » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:57 pm

Mick h wrote:May be its time to rant again, has any progress been made about the possiblity of Div 1 paddlers RACING at the new Olympic Rafting facility or has it been brushed under carpet never to be mentioned again?

Be nice for Div 2 & 3 to race there again.

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:39 am

I believe the veue is a little busy next year, they have selection, then close down for some reason. . . . that rules out most of the summer. Thne they need to make up for the loss of earnings.

Running events there is a tricky business, the electricity to run the pumps is expensive. I understand that the book price for an exclusive booking of the main channel is £400 an hour. I believe that we can get (through GBCanoeing) a discount, but anyone else want to run an event there in 2013? If so start planning and get the event on the calendar. :D
(hope this is not, but suspect it is, a 'tumbleweed moment') ;-)
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Nicky

Post by Nicky » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:44 am

I think that meridian were planning on running an event... They have lots if experience and run amassive polo comp, so sure it'll be good!

Spiderman

Post by Spiderman » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:51 pm

Canadian PAddler wrote:How do we/can we address this focus on rafting for venues built for canoes/kayaks?
This is an easy one CP if you think outside the box. My following solution will make these venues feel like they our built just for us.

Simply change the name of our discipline from slalom to rafting and rename our boats as rafts. So a K1 becomes an R1, and a C2 becomes an R2. Evidently this would dispense with C1 completely so that kneeling down whilst praying can generally remain in the church. Problem solved. :-)
Peter Parker - 12 gate courses are plenty long enough!

Jaytee

Post by Jaytee » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:00 pm

Terryg wrote:Be nice for Div 2 & 3 to race there again.
The legacy course was a challenge for D2, while D3 was carnage last time - so why not give us another go?

Neil H

Re:

Post by Neil H » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:51 pm

Jaytee wrote:
The legacy course was a challenge for D2, while D3 was carnage last time - so why not give us another go?
Boatnage surely!

It was fun though

TOG

Re: The Olympic Course

Post by TOG » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:11 pm

Be good to have the opperchancity :lol:

alldaypaddler

Re:

Post by alldaypaddler » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:35 am

Jaytee wrote:
the legacy course should really be a div 2 event. last year's event was one of my first in div2, and despite being a bit of a challenge, it was fun. i don't think it was right for div3; it wasted quite a lot of time having to fish out swimmers.

maybe if there were official practice runs, it would take up less time. last time there was free practice and so many people trying to get on (not all actually racing) that you had to wait 20mins to get onto the course. i think one run each would cost less money!

PLEASE arrange another div 2 event there. WE NEED EVENTS IN THE SOUTH. my main excitement at this event was that it was less than an hour's journey - the only other event within an hour is shepperton.

and... as c1/c2 are generally the disabled class (*OUCH legs*), surely a C2 would become R2-D2?