Abuse of website - Please explain.

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
marcus

Abuse of website - Please explain.

Post by marcus » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:22 pm

Please can you explain what is mean't by abuse of website. I don't really understand.

Thanks, marcus

SteveM
Site Admin

Re: Abuse of website - Please explain.

Post by SteveM » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:55 pm

You'll have to give me some context, I don't understand what you don't understand? :)

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:34 pm

Nick has posted the following on the main page
"Abuse
We can't afford massive bandwidth waste. If you repeatedly fetch the same page, or rip this whole website, and the impact is high, we will lock you out."

How would I know if I was doing this?

SteveM
Site Admin

Post by SteveM » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:58 pm

You'd know if you were doing that. Are you visiting every single page or repeatedly downloading large pictures?

Have you posted links to pictures on a busy website or forum?

Nick will get charged for high bandwidth consumption. It can be a fine line to tread especially when hosting pictures.

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:05 pm

Basically if you are visiting it to check rankings, download results etc in the way any normal person would there is no issue.

If you are running some sort of program to continually grab things off Nick's site and causing a heavy load on his web site and using a lot of bandwidth then he may block you.

This came about as when he uploaded a video recently someone for some reason visited it 100,000's of times and caused a massive use of bandwidth. Most likely this was a malicious attack but it may have an innocent explanation such as I guess someone facebooking it and for some reason it going viral.

If you are doing something or wish to do something that is unusual contact Nick so he can decide whether it is appropriate.

Nick Penfold

Post by Nick Penfold » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:20 pm

Thanks Steve and Duncan

Post perhaps not clear, so changed to:

If you are using canoeslalom.co.uk regularly to look up news, results and rankings, great: that's what it's for.
If you repeatedly fetch the same page (and I mean hundreds of times in a short period) or mechanically pull down every page in the website, and the impact is high, we will lock you out.

marcus

Post by marcus » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:57 pm

Thank you for explaining. :D