Where to get good standard grip

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
slalomazza

Where to get good standard grip

Post by slalomazza » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:11 am

Anybody know whee to get good standard grip for a kayak paddle that won't loose grip under water! :D

BaldockBabe

Re: Where to get good standard grip

Post by BaldockBabe » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:53 pm

Do you want an actual grip or a way of making the paddle less slippy? If the later I lightly sand my paddle shaft and/ or use surf wax. Simples :-)

John Sturgess

Post by John Sturgess » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:40 pm

I always used Duct Tape

MikeR

Post by MikeR » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:21 pm

I used to use surf wax, but I found in cold water it made things worse, and when you forget to put it on again, it's a disaster.

I rubbed my shaft down with 40 grit sandpaper, which will give more grip that you could ever want, and actually tore up my hands at first.

My favourite solution, which I use now, is to folder over a piece of insulation tape a few times, then stick it to the paddle in the position BETWEEN where my index and middle finger go. Another piece of insulation tape over the top holds it in place, and leaves you with a ridge.

My hands can't slide up and down, as there's a ridge to hold onto, but I can still twist the shaft in my hand to paddle normally, and not tear my hand up.

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:29 pm

I bought some grippy heat shrink off ebay for my whiteater paddles which works quite well, and it is yellow and red which makes finding black carbon paddles somewhat easier if you happen to drop them. I'm not sure that I would like it on my slalom paddles as it could be too grippy and tear up my hands.

I find that sanding down the shaft gives sufficient grip, however I did this once to some whitewater paddles and the outer resin layer was that thin that they started to let in water.