6.6 Womens C1 Divisions P/1

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Canadian Paddler

6.6 Womens C1 Divisions P/1

Post by Canadian Paddler » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:21 pm

The number of paddlers in the top C1W division has increased, with clear difference in standard between the top and the bottom of the division. In order to retain the element of fair competition for all it is proposed that the division be split into two division, (Premier and Division 1). The precise division of paddlers between the divisions will be agreed at the next Slalom Committee meeting.
Promotion between the two divisions will be by achieving 4650 points or three maximum points, thus reflecting the C1M points. (Page 53)

B1.1 Divisions
The divisional system of five divisions (Premier, 1, 2, 3 and 4) in each of the threefour categories (K1M, K1W, C1W and C1M), four divisions (Premier/1, 2, 3 and 4) in the C1W category and three divisions (Premier/1, 2/3 and 4) in the C2 category ensures that there is a standard of competition suitable for Competitors of all degrees of ability. In addition there is a Veterans divisional and ranking system and a competition series for Officials.…
(Page 58)
B4.3.3 Canadian Men Singles Classes
Division 3 to Division 2: on gaining 3200 points from the best four events or a combination of maximum points or achieving the ‘paddle up standard’ at three events.
Division 2 to Division 1: on gaining 3400 points from the best four events or a combination of maximum points or achieving the ‘paddle up standard’ at three events.
Division 1 to Premier: on gaining 4650 points from the best five events or a combination of maximum points or achieving the ‘paddle up standard’ at three events.
B4.3.4 Canadian Women Singles
Division 3 to Division 2: on gaining 3200 points from the best four events or a combination of maximum points or achieving the ‘paddle up standard’ at three events.
Division 2 to Premier/1: on gaining 3400 points from the best four events or a combination of maximum points or achieving the ‘paddle up standard’ at three events

B4.3.45 Canadian Doubles Class
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

noseypaddler

Re: 6.6 Womens C1 Divisions P/1

Post by noseypaddler » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:15 pm

so how would the division be split??

Neil H

Post by Neil H » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:37 pm

This has to be the right thing, if you are going to have gender equality at the top end, then it needs to trickle down or it's no equality at all.

BaldockBabe

Post by BaldockBabe » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:03 pm

I would suggest that by looking at the ranking list there is a clear place to split the division I.e. Below the last paddler to have 500+ points in all five counting events. This indicates either a top half result in a Prem or a win in a Div 1, both being a standard good enough to be in Prem.

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:47 pm

If this motion succeeds, then the actual split will be agreed at the committee meeting on the day after the ACM, the same meeting that deals with promotion and demotion.

The motion was put by Stafford and Stone. Personally I believe they have done the correct thing by not specifying the points that the divisions would be split at. The motion then deals with the principal, rather than getting bogged down in debating the points, with possible vested interests. However, if a club wanted to, they could propose an amendment to the motion mandating the split. :|
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.

SilverSurfer

Post by SilverSurfer » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:24 pm

I agree with the motion proposed as it is evident from watching C1W races that there is a big difference in the ability and standard between the top and bottom of the division.

However, I’ve not convinced it’s a simple motion to execute, which is why I suspect no cut off point has been put forward by S&SCC.

Taking the example put forward by Michelle, assuming I understand correctly, a C1W would have to have 500+ points in their 5 counting events to remain in the Premier division. On paper that makes sense, but looking at the actual results from 2014, that would mean only 10 paddlers qualify, and interestingly the 10th paddler making the cut finished in 12th place, but the 10th and 11th paddler would not make the cut because they scored less than 500 points in one of their 5 counting races.

Another thing to consider is the number of races the top paddlers enter, less than the paddlers below them. For example, the average number of races entered by the top 10 paddlers is 7, except for two paddlers who entered 15 and 16 races. So whilst there would many paddlers in Division 1 racing, that would not be the case for the Premier Division. If I’m not mistaken, the reason the divisions were joined in the first place was due to low numbers racing.

So based on the actual split to create two division, we could revert back to the problem we originally had.

Finally, I think it’s unfair on the C1W not to be given prior notice of a rule change e.g., at the start of the season. If C1W were aware of this proposal in March ’14, they might have entered more races to secure their Premier Division status and stretchy bid.

BaldockBabe

Post by BaldockBabe » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:40 pm

Just to clarify I suggested the line being drawn under that paddler. Thus anyone above the line ie 12 paddlers would be in Prem. It was only a suggestion given that if you are not finishing in the top half of a Prem or winning div 1's I figure you are likely to be of div 1 not prem standard.

12 paddlers is likely to result in quorate events at Prem (many of the top paddlers only enter Prem events already).

Entering more events is unlikely to have helped many paddlers as most have scores from fewer than 5 events and those on the cusp entered plenty of events.

SilverSurfer

Post by SilverSurfer » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:16 pm

Michelle I wasn't being critical of your suggestion, it does make sense. I was merely making an observation that when you look at the number of races the top 10 paddlers entered in 2014, they entered an average of 7 races each, except for two of the paddlers.

Therefore, whilst I agree with the motion put forward (and your suggestion for the slit) I believe it will potential create another problem with a reduced field of paddlers in some of the Premier Division races.

I also strongly believe a decision such as this should not be made at the end of the season, but in advance of the season so that all paddlers are aware of the impact. To split the Premier Division/Division 1 retrospectively, regardless of method used is morally wrong and unfair to those C1W paddlers.

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:31 pm

Erroneously attributed to Stafford and Stone on the Agenda, this will be handled as a committee motion

SilverSurfer

Post by SilverSurfer » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:34 pm

Just to add to the concerns I've already raised, how do you propose to deal with those paddlers who had a short season, there are 20 in total?

BaldockBabe

Post by BaldockBabe » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:39 pm

I'm assuming in the same way as they did when Div 2/3 was split? They were left in the lower division which makes sense.

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:18 pm

I would expect that a line will be drawn at 'x' points. If any paddler (short season or not) has more than x points they will be in prem. if they have less than x points they will be in div 1. Just as Baldock Babe says

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:18 pm

This motion was handled under article 5.9 and voted on immediately. It accepted nem con.