Race Entry

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Sven

Re: Race Entry

Post by Sven » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:21 am

OK thanks for the correction Seedy

So it looks like there is an opportunity to look at portable points again as they are not a 'done deal' as suggested previously. Which given the observations of so many experienced people this year on what's happening feels like a good way forward.

Nick Penfold

Post by Nick Penfold » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:49 am

I'm not disagreeing with some of the conclusions above, but Steve Pearson isn't comparing apples with apples:
"K1M started 2014 with 150ish bibs & finished with 219, 6 people were demoted so an increase of 64ish paddlers or 42% - wow!"
K1M started 2014 with 149, and started 2015 with 165. That's the comparable figure, and it's an increase of about 10%. Apart from demotions in from Prem and out to Div 2, a fair number of the paddlers ranked at the start of the year drop out.

stevepearson

Post by stevepearson » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:56 pm

It really would be interesting to see some more accurate stats - for instance: increase in paddlers per division, and class, and by year, and any increase in race entry by event. 10% year on year will surely have an impact, it could be knowing where the information is that is key, as with all numbers there can be the truth and interpretation.

Portable points for example looks like its getting a pretty poor review of late, but if your in Div1 then enter some Prem races & get points from them - having said that, they may now be at risk of being over subscribed??

suse

Post by suse » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:11 pm

Makes you wonder if we could be heading back to the days when we had to separate Canadian entries from kayak, with events on separTe days because there were so many paddlers in the sport...

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:22 pm

I would be very reluctant to see the return to Single events over double. The distances travelled make double events much much more appealing.

If you we need to limit entries, it may be better if say one of the classes wasn't run e.g. no Canadians (you wouldn't want to drop K1M from any Division 1 race as they make up the biggest percentage of the entry) . Another option could be to add some of the smaller classes into Prem events e.g. Prem + Div 1 Women could be an event. p.s. this is just a though and I am not recommending this as it could cause more problems than we are solving!

HPPaddler

Post by HPPaddler » Mon May 04, 2015 5:12 pm

I think that people have also sometimes entered a class but don't actually paddle in it (e.g. entering in K1 and C1 but only paddling in one event). With races fully booked up this practice should be discouraged very strongly. I understand that you might turn up to an event and decide that the water is too challenging for your ability, but to enter a class and have no intention of paddling in it, is denying another paddler a place on the start list. This needs to be discouraged.