Automating Slalom Returns

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
djberriman

Automating Slalom Returns

Post by djberriman » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:19 am

I'm looking at working out the fees due automatically from the files produced from Simply Slalom.

It's not an impossible task to automate this and I've just started looking at it.

The most obvious issue is identifying unique paddlers as paddlers with the same name do not qualify for Multi Class Discount. It won't happen often but does and will happen.

If the entry is based on a real bib there is no issue. If however the paddler has a temporary bib then I need to identify who they are, some may be known to the ranking database and if there name is spelt correctly I can find them in their old division, anyone who isn't known to the database presents a problem.

Age can not be relied on to identify different paddlers as they may paddle a C2 in which case they may paddle in a different age group.

I can do a best guess (which is awful in programming as it is just that a guess) and flag up things to check manually where the paddler is not registered and a MCD is given.

So that out of the way I can see how I can calculate double fees, MC Discounts (including the C2 rule), plus Junior reductions.

I guess if the output listed each paddler and how much they should have paid, any double/MCD discount then it would be fairly easy to reconcile entry cards/monies received against the output. If the balances agree then it should be correct, if they don't then you would just need to work through the list to find the error (which may well be with the entry).

My only question so far is does a paddler who races K1 on a Saturday and C1 on a Sunday at a double get charged double fee or two single fees? I'm assuming its a double fee could anyone confirm?

harratts

Re: Automating Slalom Returns

Post by harratts » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:03 pm

Hi Duncan,

George did exactly this at Pinkston last weekend and we were charged for two single day Div. 1 entry fees.

Best regards,
Steve

Dee

Post by Dee » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:29 pm

I believe two singles is correct
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

carealto

Post by carealto » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:36 am

I asked this question a year or so ago and was told (by Jim Croft) that a K1 entry one day and a C1 the other should be charged as two singles but is eligible for a Multiclass discount (presumably as it is a double event, rather than two separate single events).

Steve Agar

Post by Steve Agar » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:06 pm

..and can you clarify what a div 2/3 C2 crew should pay at a div 2/3 event?

Steve

Dee

Post by Dee » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:41 pm

Div 2 entry fees at a div 2 or 2/3 and div 3 fees at a div 3
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!