Div 4 Entry Fees

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
djberriman

Div 4 Entry Fees

Post by djberriman » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:31 pm

I was just looking at entry fees.

Div 4 entry fee is £5. Non of it goes to GB Canoeing.

Fee for Open at a Div4 is up to the organiser.
Teams at a Div 4 is max £1.50 (50p per paddler).

£5 seems a bit steep are we allowed to charge less?

Should it be Max £5?

Jeff

Re: Div 4 Entry Fees

Post by Jeff » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:40 am

I read it as £1.50 per boat for teams.

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:26 am

No entry fee goes to GB Canoeing, some goes to the British Canoeing Slalom Committee to run the ranking system.

The entry fees are set for individuals, so no you cant charge less at the moment.

Team entries are a maximum, so you can charge less, the maximum is expressed per boat so a div 4 team is up to £4.50 (not £1.50)
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:06 pm

Apologies for the errors in my post.
But no entry fee is paid to British Canoeing Slalom Committee from a Div 4.
It still remains a team paddler pays £1.50 and an open can be free.

It's just we only charge £2.50 for a session so charging £5 for a Div 4 is a little steep when I'm trying to attract people into the sport, then again perhaps pointing out its going to get expensive is a good thing!

I guess it's a historic thing from when money did used to be sent off.

I guess I'll have to put a motion forward next year then!

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:57 pm

You have some other options if you want to make the £5 entry fee look more attractive to new entrants -

you could always throw in a free team entry for any individual entry
you could always throw in a free drink/bacon roll/cake for any individual entry

Div 4 events and Division 3 events (which are not running alongside a Division 2) have no administration levy to the Slalom Committee - I understand this is to encourage organisers to run lower level events were the entry levels can be low. If clubs can make some money which is then reinvested in the club in slalom equipment, then more paddlers can paddle.

Some clubs that only dabble in slalom run events because it generates them some income. We want to encourage them to continue to run events as we need events and the club is exposed to slalom and so some club members may take slalom up.

However, £5 is a fair rate given the effort required to run the event. The paddler gets several hours to train on the course and gets 2 timed runs. If £5 is going to put you off, the paddler is never going to continue unfortunately.

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:28 pm

For most paddlers (if not nearly all) it will be their first ever slalom. So it's just about them having a go.
We can't do food (it's in a city centre).
We want to encourage club paddlers to try slalom.
If we were looking for a fair rate for the effort it would be a lot more than £5!
It won't cost us anything other than our time.
It will bring another event back to the city centre which will help us maintain our facility there.
I'm not particularly looking to raise funds for the club (the normal session fee would suffice).

I'm not saying others shouldn't charge £5 I'd just like some flexibilty!

Anyway I have my answer which is that I have to charge £5.

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:44 pm

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be contentious just proposing some options which unfortunately can't apply.

John Stoner

Post by John Stoner » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:22 pm

Note that on page 62 of last year's yearbook under 'Division 4 Slaloms' point 5 states 'no administration fees. Clubs may set a reduced entry fee'. I had concluded for the Hinckley slalom that we could charge whatever we wanted!

Dee

Post by Dee » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:30 am

Have you found the bit of the rules the CP hasn't learnt by heart? ;)
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:14 am

Another anomaly in the yearbook. The rules are clear, but this is muddied by an 'explanatory page' that used to refer to short notice division 4 events. I did not spot that, so it will be the same in next years book as well.
So if you are running short notice events you cane vary the fee, if you are running an event agreed at the ACM you should not. . . . .

Methinks it would be good to have someone who wants to charge a reduced feee propose that the two should be consistent, and allow reduced fees. Over to you guys. Motions for the ACM can be sent / handed to the secretary at any time before the closing date. So today is not too early.
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points