Rationing Entries

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
andy n

Rationing Entries

Post by andy n » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:56 am

Has any consideration been given to rationing entries at an event? There is so much dissatisfaction from Division 1 paddlers that cannot gain entries to races and I'm sure that some will give up competing in canoe slalom as a result. However there are a significant number of paddlers, almost entirely in the talent squads, who are encouraged to double-up and have two entries in many events. At the forthcoming HPP Div 1 there are about 20 such paddlers. If they were restricted to just one entry each then there would be 20 other Div 1 paddlers that could fill the gaps - just a thought?

stevepearson

Re: Rationing Entries

Post by stevepearson » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:15 pm

Increase capacity, don't restrict where there is demand

JimW

Post by JimW » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:20 pm

If we stop allowing doubling up, what would happen to C1 and C2?
It is hard enough to get people racing in them as it is, how many paddlers would pick C1 over kayak, or C2 over kayak or C1?

I was actually having the entirely opposite thought yesterday, C1 is short of paddlers, and I have heard a few parents mention that coaches are trying to encourage paddlers to choose between C1 and K1 once they reach a certain point in their careers - I was wondering if this is really necessary?
I can see that focussing on one class may be useful if you have the chance to get to the top in that class, which you might not otherwise achieve if splitting your time between 2 or 3 classes, but is it relevant for all, and don't the olympic squad often end up doubling up to qualify extra boats that we wouldn't otherwise have?

I have been doubling up in division 2/3 races - because I love paddling, and the strange thing is that even though I am not as good in C1 as K1, C1 feels more right to me.

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:04 am

stevepearson wrote:Increase capacity, don't restrict where there is demand
Great idea. Now all you need to do is to find some way of putting it into practice. Not some time in the endless future but next year or else we will continue have more disappointed paddlers and lose more people from the sport.

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:02 am

I have had another thought since my last post. In my day (don't I sound old) division 2 races were held on places like HPP, the Tryweryn and the Serpents Tail. These were very popular events and were usually oversubscribed. When I last tried to run a division 2 race at the Serpents Tail I think I had about 40 entries, it wasn't even worth putting the course up. Promotion to division 1 was a lot harder because it was all done end of season. In season promotion was introduced to allow truly exceptional paddlers to progress sooner. We now have a lot more division 2 races with much smaller entries, and in season promotion has become virtually the only way up. If we make it harder to gain promotion then the numbers and the ability of the paddlers in division 2 will increase and it will once again be viable to run division 2 races on the harder courses. If the theory of demand leading to increased capacity holds true then it is equally valid if the paddlers are in division 2 as if they are in division 1.

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:05 am

Going back to the subject of this thread, I am not happy with preventing paddlers from racing across classes. if we manage the numbers in division 1 more effectively it doesn't matter if the numbers are made up of people doubling up in the division or otherwise. If someone has the ability to race in that division in both classes then they should be free to do so. The problem has become magnified as there are a lot of C1s in division 1 that shouldn't be there, sort that problem out and things will be much easier for everyone.

andy n

Post by andy n » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:59 pm

I totally agree that capacity has to be increased and do encourage doubling up in two categories if there is sufficient space. However, the reality for the forthcoming Div 1 at HPP is that approx. 120 Div 1 paddlers have one entry, approx. 20 paddlers have two entries and an unknown number who would like to race do not have an entry. Surely if would help to keep more paddlers happy if 160 paddlers had one entry and less were forced to miss out?

Phil

Post by Phil » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:30 pm

I've been thinking the same. Last season I was only able to enter two events as the rest were all full, doubling up limits the numbers able to enter. Like paddle up entries, people entering a second class should only get that entry confirmed just before the race (I think it's a month) if there is still space available.