IP statement - K1M U23/J18 Euros team?

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
AndrewG

IP statement - K1M U23/J18 Euros team?

Post by AndrewG » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:03 pm

First of all congrats to all athletes selected to all teams, if you have a place you really do deserve it.

With no personal interest in any of the potential team members and without any axe to grind .............

Have I interpreted correctly the likely make up of the K1M U23 team for Euros?
I am reading the IP statement and have come to the conclusion that the team being invited to attend would be:
Zach A
Jonny D
Paul S

I am basing this on the fact that the IP statement says that Bradley and Chris are to release their European U23 places, that JD and PS are the next reserves.
If I am correct, I wonder if the IP had realised that it might be possible for a Junior (JD) to qualify for a U23 team place but not qualify for a Junior team place?

Hopefully we will not see a "re-interpretation" of the IP's own statement as in one particular year re the "leap-frogging" rule.

As I say, no axe to grind, just curious to see if I had read this correctly.
If correct, it just re-enforces my thoughts that I am not convinced that this year's format for Juniors was any fairer on the Junior paddlers (great from a spectator point of view - unless you happen to be a parent of a Junior?!)

Andrew

paddlerparent

Re: IP statement - K1M U23/J18 Euros team?

Post by paddlerparent » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:40 pm

There are no C1M reserves & therefore no C1M for the Euro team - i dont understand why this is the case?

Mark H

Post by Mark H » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:41 pm

Percentages are the key, or the root of all evil depending which side of the fence you sit on.
If you don't make % your not going even if that means empty places.

Mark H

Post by Mark H » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:46 pm

The Junior C1 men will do both the Worlds and Euro's(I think)

BaldockBabe

Post by BaldockBabe » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:29 pm

paddlerparent wrote:There are no C1M reserves & therefore no C1M for the Euro team - i dont understand why this is the case?
I don't think that is correct. None of the C1M U23/ J have made the senior team therefore none of them have to give up their J/u23 Euros place so can complete at the J/u23 Euros and the J/u23 Worlds.

JimW

Post by JimW » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:01 pm

paddlerparent wrote:There are no C1M reserves & therefore no C1M for the Euro team - i dont understand why this is the case?
Are you sure you have read the tables right?
As far as I can tell there is a full team for everything (except C2), but a shortage of reserves in U23 and J - the names below the line are additional reserves for the Euros only, not the Euros team which is the same as the worlds team, except for some U23's who are also senior team and giving up their Euro's places to reserves, who in some cases are only below the line. Reserves above the line are reserves for both Euros and Worlds, I think. And none of the U23 or J C1M have to give up places (no asterisks).

It is pretty complex, I may have read it wrong!