Prem Paddlers - Percentages - Advice Please

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
djberriman

Prem Paddlers - Percentages - Advice Please

Post by djberriman » Tue May 16, 2017 5:37 pm

So as many of you will be aware the ranking database is heavily automated these days and always a work in progress due to rule changes, requests from paddlers and race formats.

For all but Prem I think things are working.

The thing that is making my brain fry at the moment is p%. It's fine on a classic format race but is totally meaningless for anyone who doesn't reach the final as it could well be time on a different course.

So the questions is how do you the paddlers want p% working out for super final and championship events where paddlers can have between 2 and 4 runs potentially on different courses.

Displaying a meaningful set of results from the ranking database is also a little difficult for these formats.

I could show each individuals best run (and break it down so its obvious its the final/semi/run 2/run1).

or I could show each paddler once with all runs shown (3 or 4) instead of the normal 2 - I think this makes the most sense.

or perhaps something else.

Thoughts/suggestions please.

Nick Penfold

Re: Prem Paddlers - Percentages - Advice Please

Post by Nick Penfold » Thu May 18, 2017 2:23 pm

I think the best solution is to treat each Championship event as two races: the Qualification race and the Semis-and-Finals race. Semifinalists and finalists would only get points from the second race, and non-qualifiers would get appropriate points for the qualification race. To illustrate I've compiled the HPP K1M results the way I have in mind:

Qualification: http://www.canoeslalom.co.uk/results/13 ... cation.pdf

Semis and finals: http://www.canoeslalom.co.uk/results/13 ... finals.pdf

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Fri May 19, 2017 1:38 pm

A good idea, to be honest I think Nick's mentioned it before not quite understood what he meant.

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Sun May 21, 2017 9:52 am

Now presented as per Nick's idea (with Nick's help).

Prem races with heats now appear as 2 races which makes more sense and means all the percentages are meaningful.

Tully and HPP have been reloaded.