Division 2 and Open Competitors/Event

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
JimW

Division 2 and Open Competitors/Event

Post by JimW » Mon May 22, 2017 1:28 pm

I am taking the entries for our div 2 race (2/3) and suddenly remembered reading something about open competitors at div 2 races when I was looking to get direct entry rather than working up from div 4, and realised that I might need to understand it.

Some races are listed as Div 2 and Open, some aren't. The instructions for direct entry say to enter a div 2 race as an open competitor (and use your result as evidence), they don't say to enter an open race which runs alongside some div 2's as an open competitor, so does that imply that it is fair game for non-ranked paddlers to enter as open at any div 2?

I tried reading the rules, but they didn't help.
I did find out that under rule C3.1.6:
"At Division 2 competitions an experienced paddler not previously a National Association member may enter as a non-ranking Competitor using the National Federation Taster form as in Rule C3.1.5 above (see B2.2) or on showing a Canoe Club Youth Section membership card."

But there is no mention of paddlers who are already members of a national association but previously unranked in slalom? Is it to be inferred that they may also enter as non-ranking if they produce a membership card? Would any type of membership be applicable, or would it need to be full/comprehensive?

The organisers pack includes a document "Division 2 special open event" which appears to be to give to open competitors to explain what they are entering, and includes the following paragraph:
"Following the event you can apply for ranking status using the result from this event as evidence using the tear off slip below. You will be ranked in the Division the Ranking Status Officer considers most appropriate, taking into account
your own suggestion. You do not have to ask for ranking status. You can continue to enter the Special Open Event at any Division 2 Slalom."

Which seems to say that non ranked competitors are welcome at any div 2?

So is it that when a div 2 race is advertised as open it means that competitors ranked in other divisions can also enter?

I think I may need to review my RA...

WindsorCC

Re: Division 2 and Open Competitors/Event

Post by WindsorCC » Tue May 23, 2017 8:19 am

An 'Open' is a completely separate event run alongside a normal ranking event, with a separate start list, results, prizes etc which is open to all divisions, and has a set entry fee of £6 (excepting the British Open, for obvious reasons...)

The direct entry rule is there to allow someone who is an experienced paddler access to a Div 2 race on a BCU day ticket or youth card (as can be used at Div 4) so they can demonstrate the standard they are paddling at, and then use that to justify applying for ranking status. I would assume they would pay the normal Div 2 entry fee, plus the day ticket fee (£5 I think?).

So yes, a non-ranked paddler could enter any Div 2, although I think only once as officially I believe you're only allowed to use a BCU day-license once. Although I don't know why someone would repeatedly enter Div 2's without having ranking status, so I doubt it's ever been an issue?

I wonder if the bit about 'not previously a national association member' is actually a mistake in the rules? Certainly they can't have been ranked before, but not sure why they can't have previously been a member of a national association. Again, I doubt that's ever been an issue...

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Tue May 23, 2017 1:33 pm

Try page 55 B3.3.3 Direct Entry, paragraph 2

B3.3.3 refers to being able to enter directly into Div 2 for any unranked paddler

C3.1.6 referes to the requirement to be a federation member, and how to enter if you are not.
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

JimW

Post by JimW » Tue May 23, 2017 2:18 pm

So organisers of div 2 races should be aware that any non-ranked paddler with appropriate federation (? national association? Is BC now claiming to be a federation after years of denying it?) membership (i.e. full annual, or temporary purchased on the day) is allowed to enter? Assuming of course that their entry is correct and they can produce their membership card.

We also need to make ourselves aware of the temporary membership arrangements (are they per NA or just central through BC?) in case we need to sell some of those?

I have to say I think this is a good thing, I just wasn't properly aware of it.
I can think of a few experienced paddlers who might be enticed to have a go if they knew they could enter div 2 races without having to commit to a bib. Admittedly I was hoping to entice some to help out for an officials entry which is probably more useful to us.

Seedy Paddler

Post by Seedy Paddler » Tue May 23, 2017 2:32 pm

Technically you join the Association for the federation that you are domiciled in. Therefore residents in Scotland join SCA, residents in England join BC. However at one stage SCA switched Temporary Membership to on-line application. This doesn't really work and I have yet to see any clarification from SCA HQ or Board (nothing new here you say!) Last time I had that job in slalom entry admin I used the BC form (as it came in the Organisers pack and was cheaper) and sent off the form and monies to BC, it is ALL revenue to them so no real complaint. Please note that reference to Canoe Club Youth section membership is only relevant for BC Affiliated Clubs and not just any Club Youth membership card. It is all to do with scaremongering over liability insurance and revenue for the National Organisations.

Regards

CD