Emails to organisers

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
djberriman

Emails to organisers

Post by djberriman » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:43 am

Dear paddlers,

We value your entries very highly and wish you to paddle but please be aware that emailing the organiser in the few days before the event will often not get a response as many will be on site for up to 2 - 3 days before the event getting everything ready often without internet access or even if they do with little time to deal with emails.

I've got home to find 5 or 6 people emailed me on the Friday, the last one at 10.30pm. I realise some times decisions are last minute and you have a long way to travel but please don't be surprised if you don't get a reply, we are not being rude we simply haven't had the capability/time or energy to do so. Similarly social media messaging will not always get through.

Only slightly less frustrating than being emailed for a set of results before I'd even left site on Sunday (they were up on the notice board - with points - outside control at the event). Results will be published asap, usually within 24 hours when I've dragged my weary body out of bed, cast my eyes over the disaster my house has turned into due to the rapid unloading the night before and wondered if I have the energy to complete all the paperwork the slalom commitee needs and then reorganise/repack/reorder/reprint everything ready for next year.

Love you all x

JimW

Re: Emails to organisers

Post by JimW » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:36 pm

To reinforce Duncans point, even if you know a venue has WIFI please don't expect the organisers to necessarily be able to access email on site.

For some reason neither my laptop or phone are able to get internet access when logged in to Pinkston WIFI (other people seem to get it).
Also I had a very unusual laptop power supply failure a few days before the last event (fortunately I was doing start lists directly to my USB stick ready to transfer anyway) so didn't have my own computer available at all. With high end graphics onboard it needs a 200W power supply and you can't grab one of them in Asda, I had to order it from Germany in the end.

I couldn't use my phone or the timing computers to access the club gmail account anyway because I don't know the password which was on the laptop (my laptop, desktop and work desktop all remember it for me...)
Fortunately running the event kept my mind off whether or not my laptop would ever work again (it does, phew!).