Travel Insurance For Child competing in Europe

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Nick Taylor

Travel Insurance For Child competing in Europe

Post by Nick Taylor » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:07 pm

Anyone got experience of buying travel insurance for a child travelling with friends but not parents?
Competing in ECA races in Krakow & Ceske

Nick Taylor

Re: Travel Insurance For Child competing in Europe

Post by Nick Taylor » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:43 pm

Sorted. Thanks for help
www.alanboswell.com
I spoke to Paul Smith direct 01205 312106 psmith@alanboswell.com
01205 311344

Debs

Post by Debs » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:09 pm

For future reference to all parents, most travel insurance that says it covers up to grade 2/3 waters only covers them for having a go for example like booking a holiday activity. It does not cover them for competition! I spoke to Daniel at British Canoeing who was dealing with the race entries and asked for the company that British Canoeing use for the GB Team athletes. Spoke to a very nice chap there and got cover for all 3 eca races our daughter was competing in for £33.
Your child will also need standard travel insurance as well to cover everything else.
Paul Smith at Alan Boswell was great and very helpful.

Nick Taylor

Post by Nick Taylor » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:07 pm

Anyone got up to date experience on this subject? I need to arrange cover for ECA races in June
I asked Boswell and was referred to British Canoeing who referred me to Towergate or Sutcliffe... so I've sent them both emails
Interested to know others' experience

JimW

Post by JimW » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:40 am

No experience with children travelling without parents, but Sportscover Direct include competition as standard for most sports (including paddlesport) in their travel insurance. Cover up to grade 3 (for WWR world masters) was 1/4 of the price of cover up to grade 5, so they clearly have some idea what they are doing.
My annual travel policy (through my bank) doesn't cover me for competition, but I do get cover up to grade 5 for recreational boating - cover is suspended as soon as a stopwatch/timer starts and resumes 'when I leave the venue where the timing took place', according to the nice lady on the phone, so it will be OK for training camps as long as I tell the coach not to time me!

Niciss

Post by Niciss » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:47 pm

Sports Cover direct no problem children travelling with other adults, had to make a few claims, paid out without a fuss

Nick Taylor

Post by Nick Taylor » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:43 pm

Thanks Jim W & Niciss; Sportscover direct very good. £33 for 12 days top up insurance grade 4 & below
BC recommended Towergate & Sutcliffe who were both more expensive & much harder to deal with