The Year Book

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Dee

The Year Book

Post by Dee » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:16 am

I see that Ken has decided to put his feet up after many years of hard work on the year book.

My question now is, does it really make sense to continue with a printed year book?

I will admit to using the rules section but these days it is easier to search the rules online. Post publication changes to competitions and organisers do happen so most paddlers probably check Nick's site in any case.

I believe that costs of the year book are offset by advertising, but someone has to chase for ads and payment.

Some of the work would still be needed, proof reading updated rules, gathering competition info, but is there still a demand for the printed version or would all that volunteer effort (of which there is a lot) be better directed elsewhere.

Just wondering?
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

JoS

Re: The Year Book

Post by JoS » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:46 am

Ken did an amazing job, but now you've said it, I think I could manage ok without a printed version. Having a pdf version would be helpful though, formatted with verso and recto sides so that it can be printed out to e.g. have a copy kicking around a clubhouse.

JimW

Post by JimW » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:26 pm

Not easy to search rules online at venues with no phone or internet reception, for some reason people seem to expect me to have a yearbook with me (which I generally do) so I have referred to it a few times for rules queries (usually points calculation - I think the app needs internet too?), but this only highlights that most people never even look at it.

It is probably a handy reference for slalom organisers, but presumably the minimum print run makes it an all or none proposition?

It it is turned into a PDF only download it need to use a paper shape and size that anyone can print out for themselves - for those of us with access to document centres with booklet finishers formatted as individual A5 pages will work fine, for others it would be useful to have say A5 pages arranged on A4 sheets so that you can just stack them, and fold the stack to make a booklet.
In either case the booklets need to be much thinner than the current yearbook (thick stacks don't fold well), but that should be easily achievable using the same font size on bigger pages and removing some ads. Perhaps split into separate booklets for rules, calendar, bibs to make each manageable and allow people to only print the parts they use?

Mrs C P Paddler

Post by Mrs C P Paddler » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:46 pm

Why bibs? Once published on line they can change as people get promoted so why waste paper on printing them? Don't need them at a slalom.

I agree Rule book and maybe a slimmer leaflet type booklet for the calendar.

However we also have the Selection policy and Welfare policies, international stuff etc. What do we do with them?

Believe it has been discussed but people seem to want to keep the book as it is. It takes so much effort to produce this book, proof reading alone takes ages and packing year books takes a bit of organising. Maybe its one for clubs to discuss and take to the ACM as to whether there is the need for the book in its present form or a change.

Dee

Post by Dee » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:22 pm

Last time it was discussed was probably at least five years ago. Time moves on and things change quickly. My guess is that the vast majority of paddlers use the online calendar rather than the printed one and attitudes may have changed. Even at the start of this year some people were expressing doubts about online entry. Many of the same people have since told me that they've changed their minds and now think it's a good thing.

If minds can change in less than a year, then five years is a life time!

I am not in any way trying to belittle contribution that those involved in producing the year book have made. It used to be a "bible" for many paddlers and has been a necessity in the past. I just think that maybe this is a good opportunity to reconsider.
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Jerry Tracey

Post by Jerry Tracey » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:45 pm

Just one additional point:
Past yearbooks provide a very valuable historical source.

JoS

Post by JoS » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:47 am

I realised last night that people who *do* get lots of use out of the paper yearbook might not be great readers of Chatter and need to be looked for in another way like a survey by email or post or something, if decisions are going to get made on whether there will be a paper yearbook or not.

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:21 am

The topic of the longevity of a paper yearbook is regularly discussed at committee meetings. So it is actually months since it was last discussed not years.
Keeping a yearbook that does not cost much financially is still widely supported. Different groups use different sections and the value of a book to new starters is also thought to be a benefit in getting people to keep trying this wonderful.sport.
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Dee

Post by Dee » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:18 am

i can see the appeal for new paddlers (or more likely the parents :D ).

TobyLerone

Post by TobyLerone » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:49 am

JimW wrote:Not easy to search rules online at venues with no phone or internet reception, for some reason people seem to expect me to have a yearbook with me (which I generally do) so I have referred to it a few times for rules queries (usually points calculation - I think the app needs internet too?)
Hi Jim, just to say that the app doesn't require an internet connection to use. It now also features the events calendar, along with start lists (when they become available) and calendar downloads to mobile devices.

John Sturgess

Post by John Sturgess » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:01 pm

The Washburn doesn't have either wifi or mobile connectivity - Grandtully doesn't have mobile connectivity on a lot of networks

John

JimW

Post by JimW » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:07 pm

TobyLerone wrote:
JimW wrote:Not easy to search rules online at venues with no phone or internet reception, for some reason people seem to expect me to have a yearbook with me (which I generally do) so I have referred to it a few times for rules queries (usually points calculation - I think the app needs internet too?)
Hi Jim, just to say that the app doesn't require an internet connection to use. It now also features the events calendar, along with start lists (when they become available) and calendar downloads to mobile devices.
Thanks Toby, probably something basic like I needed internet connection to install it in the first place having not planned ahead, infact it isn't installed now.... just going to play store....