Ranking and Promotion

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Nick Penfold

Re: Ranking and Promotion

Post by Nick Penfold » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:11 pm

Jim W said "putting the lower capacity events early and the higher capacity events later in the year"
Nice idea, but capacity is dictated mainly by water time, the time of year (shorter daylight hours, for example) and other factors outside our control.

But thinking further: if Prem and Div 1 races must carry Pan Celtics and Vets and Juniors championships, we could put them early in the year when there is space.

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:49 pm

"We don't "demote" paddlers with no results, we just drop them off the lists."

Odd as I said this at Tees at the weekend and at least one member of the committee categorically said this did not happen, that all such paddlers had to apply to stay in division. I was sure it was as you mention that anyone who doesn't race automatically gets dropped off the list and doesn't get demoted and then can simply apply for reinstatement which has always struck me as a little unfair to those who've only managed a couple of races but on average would have stayed up.

Dee

Post by Dee » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:25 pm

I believe that they are dropped off the list unless they apply for reinstatement.

Even if they do apply for reinstatement, they would not automatically be reinstated into the same division and I believe it would depend on the reason for not competing - I would imagine that, for instance, a member of the armed forces who has been out of the country on active duty and therefore unable to compete would be looked upon more favourably that someone who had just decided to take a break.

Equally, I believe that a paddler who was demoted having only competed in two races could apply for reinstatement if there were exceptional circumstances (see B3.1).
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:39 pm

Well no
If you are demoted you are ranked so cannot be reinstated.

BUT if you have been unable to compete for a large part of the season. (E. G. Injury or posted abroad as Jim suggests) you can apply for FROZEN status which means you do not get demoted.

So if this applies to you you must contact the ranking status officer and put your case. He will bring these applications to the committee meeting after the ACM with his recommendations for the committee to make final decisions.

So you must get your case in early next month. PLEASE do not miss the boat as there is no rule that allows re ranking of a ranked paddler.
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Nick Penfold

Post by Nick Penfold » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:26 pm

So you must get your case in early next month.
No. (B 3.1) ...applications must be in writing and received by the 31st October.
Email is OK, and John might stretch a point on the date for a good case, but there's not a lot of time left.
Usually the only criteria accepted are long-term injury and work abroad. Don't bother if you've got four or five races to count.