6.4 Super Final Format

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Canadian Paddler

6.4 Super Final Format

Post by Canadian Paddler » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:59 pm

6.4 Super Final Format
The format for super final was adopted by a sizable majority at the 2016 ACM. The committee feels that the feedback from the riverbank is strong enough to warrant revisiting this matter not rejecting it under regulation 5.7 (page 181)
There have been discussions about the super final, a consistent approach is that those not making a final will be ranked on the best of their two qualification runs.
The format in the yearbook was used at the early Grandtully race, this was not popular with paddlers.
The two alternates are listed below, they will be discussed together and voted on individually so that one or other or both formats can be used in 2018. Competitions must declare before 10th December which format they will be using.
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Canadian Paddler

Re: 6.4 Super Final Format

Post by Canadian Paddler » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:00 pm

6.4.1 Qualification from both heats
The format will be retained, except that for those not making the final, the result will be based on the best result from their two qualification runs. (Page 53)
B1.3.2 Super Final
Each competitor has a timed qualification race run. After this run the top x boats in each event proceed to the final. The remaining boats have a second timed qualification run. After this run the top n boats in each event proceed to the final.
The final is one run starting in the reverse order of their qualification result, those qualifying from the first heat starting after those qualifying from the second heat.
Course changes can be made for the final at the Organiser’s discretion.
The final result for each event in the competition is:-
• The finishing order of the finalists based on their final result only.
• The remaining competitors in order of their best run from the two runs.
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:01 pm

6.4.2 Qualification from first run only
An alternate would be to have qualification for the final only from the first qualification run. (Page 53)
B1.3.2 Super Final
Each competitor has a timed qualification race run. After this run the top x boats in each event proceed to the final.
The final is one run starting in the reverse order of their qualification result
The final result for each event in the competition is:-
• The finishing order of the finalists based on their final result only.
• The remaining competitors in order of their best run from the two runs.

jezrix

Post by jezrix » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:13 pm

Hi Colin.

Please could you clarify 6.4.2

The wording states that each competitor has a timed qualification run and x boats in each event proceed to the final.
It then states that 'the remaining competitors' (i.e. those that didn't qualify for the final) are ranked in order of their best runs from the two runs.

When do the remaining competitors have a second run if there's only a qualification race run and a final run?

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:06 am

Hi Jez
The intent of this format is one qualification run from which x paddlers go to a final. The rest have a second run and best run counts.
This is the so called Czech model.
Everyone has two runs. Top ten from first run have second run to count for top ten places. Everyone else has two runs and best run counts.

Sorry a bit woolly in the response but it is late over here in Ivrea.
I will look at a clarifying amendment to the above affect on my return.

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:04 pm

I think this is a good format.

I think it would be better if it was an approximate percentage of the paddlers in Prem in each class in the final. This would seem more equitable across the classes.

There are approximately the following paddlers in Prem by class
K1M 100 K1W 60 C1M 45 C1W 30

So, if you allowed a percentage of the class (decided at the start of the year based on those ranked in the class) through to a final this would look like this

15% K1M 15, K1W 9, C1M 7 and C1W 5
20% K1M 20, K1W 12, C1M 9 and C1W 6
25% K1M 25, K1W 15, C1M 12 and C1W 8

stevepearson

Post by stevepearson » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:25 pm

CeeBee wrote:

So, if you allowed a percentage of the class (decided at the start of the year based on those ranked in the class) through to a final this would look like this

15% K1M 15, K1W 9, C1M 7 and C1W 5
20% K1M 20, K1W 12, C1M 9 and C1W 6
25% K1M 25, K1W 15, C1M 12 and C1W 8

Like :D

jezrix

Post by jezrix » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:36 pm

Thanks for the clarification.

Will it be possible to amend the wording on the agenda to explicitly state that paddlers not in the top x boats get a 2nd run?

Currently it just says that top x boats in each event in the qualification run proceed to the final and that the final is one run starting in the reverse order of their qualification result. It doesn't mention that there is a second run for the other boats.

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:30 pm

Cant change the Agenda just before the meeting. An Amendment can be put to clarify the rule though

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:47 pm

Qualification from both run:
The motion was accepted, 58 votes for, 12 votes against and 2 abstentions.
Qualification from 1st run only
The motion was accepted, 67 votes for, 3 votes against and 2 abstentions.
There are two Super final formats that can be used in the 2018 season. Competition organisers must declare before 10th December which format they will be using. Organisers were asked to consider that the second format does not work well in the latter half of the season.