Demotee Rankings

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Karen T

Demotee Rankings

Post by Karen T » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:50 am

Just a thought now we have Portable Points ....
.... should demotees continue to be ranked at the top of their new division, or be ranked in their new division by points only?

Apologies if this has already been discussed elsewhere.

Alison

Re: Demotee Rankings

Post by Alison » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:37 pm

I don't think you can apply portable points for when people are demoted. Having just been demoted to div 2 if you ranked me from my points I would be a bib number in the 50s in div 2. I wasn't eligible to race in div 2 but I did judge at Symonds Yat and would have come out with around 470 points if had raced in div 2. It would have been a nice swap for my 74 which was the lowest of my 5 scores in div 1. Portable points only work like that if you can do paddle downs as well as paddle ups.

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:27 pm

That assumes everyone has raced 5 races, take the case a few years ago of a prem paddler who got demoted to div 1,managed one race, had 800 points, got demoted, ranked in the top 5 of Div 2, imagine if he had been ranked mid way in div 2, the catchups would have been extreme, no system is perfect but I think the current system works well.

JimW

Post by JimW » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:02 pm

Welcome (back) to div 2 Duncan :D

I am going to have to try really really hard if I am going to achieve goal 2, but I think I already knew that.