Should we have a sweepstake?

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Dee

Should we have a sweepstake?

Post by Dee » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:35 am

I do let myself be talked into adding functionality to the online system in my efforts to please everyone.

This has led to div 4s being added, but I'm still less than convinced that they will be used (which is partly why I haven't yet tackled div 4 C2s) and they add significantly to system maintenance as they always present a special case.

So, how many distinct div 4 paddlers will enter online this year? (There have been none to date).

I dare everyone to guess and we will see who is closest at the end of the year.

Entries So Far:
Dee: 12
CeeBee: 100
Canadian Paddler: 42
Jeff: 73
Last edited by Dee on Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

WindsorCC

Re: Should we have a sweepstake?

Post by WindsorCC » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:38 pm

I'm planning on using it for entries for my boys this year. I suspect that'll be the way it'll be most used - existing paddlers/parents who are aware of/used to the system and will find it a lot easier than faffing around on the day with entry cards, cheques etc.

I expect there will still be large numbers who will just turn up on the day, and club reps doing entries for groups of paddlers.

Excellent that you've built-in Div 4 entries though, as it'll make my life a lot easier this year, hopefully it'll get used!

Thanks again for all the hard work!

Paul.

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:30 pm

I would be disappointed if the system does not get used by Div 4s. It will require some education by clubs and we certainly plan to push all our paddlers down entering on line as it is so much less of a headache than trying to take entries on the day. Div 4s will not enter until shortly before the closing date so we will need to wait and see.

Dee

Post by Dee » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:45 pm

So take a punt! How many distinct div 4s in the year. I'm going with 12!
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

JimW

Post by JimW » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:34 pm

I think we will also be guiding our div 4's towards online entry when available, it is easier for them and orgsanisers.
There will still be on the day entries, like younger siblings who come along to watch and get caught up in the excitement, but the only reason I can see most of our div 4's not being repeat online customers is that they will get promoted...

stevepearson

Post by stevepearson » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:18 am

Sounds like a couple of clubs are keen to use so positive so far, so keeping positive perhaps ask clubs doing D4 to communicate at their events to maintain momentum. Also is there someone who can communicate to clubs through other methods than chatter to see the uptake of this

I'd like to see things in a positive light rather than the way i'm reading this at the moment as a waste of time & the bets confirming that :(

PS - Dee, online entry is one of the best things i've seen since being involved with this sport over a few years :) (even if it just shows Tees D1 is full already)

Dee

Post by Dee » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:42 am

Sorry not meaning to sound negative, more my slghtly off sense of humour - I'm just yet to be convinced that div 4s will find the system in time to use it before they are promoted to div 3 - especially as only a tiny number of div 4s don'e have on the day entries (Cardington fills up I think?).

Tees D1is NOT full. The Prem race is showing a waiting list of div 1 paddle ups because they are not yet eligible to enter. Similarly the div 1 on Sunday has a waiting list of div 2s who are not yet eligible to enter. There are currently 137 entries for Sunday (including officials) out of a potential 200 places (Tees includes officials in the limit)

I enjoy doing the online entry system (this is just as well!), but everything is based on what has gone before - I think that Nick's website was a key turning point and I would never have started canoeslalomentries if Duncan had not have created the ranking database and the system would never have got off the ground if P/1 comps hadn't gone cardless a few years back! etc etc.

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:52 pm

okay - I'll go for 100 Div 4 entries over the year.

In the spirit of the humour which this sweepstake is intended to be taken, the sweepstake needs to have some rules and a prize!

Sweepstake Terms

To enter the sweepstake, all entrants must comply with the entry requirements set out in the Sweepstake Information. The entrant acknowledges that failure to comply with the sweepstake Information may result in his/her disqualification from the sweepstake.

Unless expressly stated otherwise in the Sweepstake Information these Terms apply to all sweepstakes run by Dee

Dee reserves the right to amend and update these Terms at her sole discretion from time to time and such changes will become effective as soon as they are published on the relevant site/publication.

Eligibility
1. Committee members, organisers and members of their immediate families (being spouses, parents, children and siblings) of Dee are not eligible to enter the sweepstake.
2. Unless otherwise stated in the sweepstake Information, entry to all sweepstakes is restricted to entrants who are residents of the United Kingdom and Ireland.
3. Anyone under the age of 18 must obtain parental consent before submitting their entry. Any betting, gambling or gaming sweepstakes are restricted to over 18s only.

Dee

Post by Dee » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:01 pm

CeeBee wrote:okay - I'll go for 100 Div 4 entries over the year.

In the spirit of the humour which this sweepstake is intended to be taken, the sweepstake needs to have some rules and a prize!

Sweepstake Terms

To enter the sweepstake, all entrants must comply with the entry requirements set out in the Sweepstake Information. The entrant acknowledges that failure to comply with the sweepstake Information may result in his/her disqualification from the sweepstake.

Unless expressly stated otherwise in the Sweepstake Information these Terms apply to all sweepstakes run by Dee

Dee reserves the right to amend and update these Terms at her sole discretion from time to time and such changes will become effective as soon as they are published on the relevant site/publication.

Eligibility
1. Committee members, organisers and members of their immediate families (being spouses, parents, children and siblings) of Dee are not eligible to enter the sweepstake.
2. Unless otherwise stated in the sweepstake Information, entry to all sweepstakes is restricted to entrants who are residents of the United Kingdom and Ireland.
3. Anyone under the age of 18 must obtain parental consent before submitting their entry. Any betting, gambling or gaming sweepstakes are restricted to over 18s only.
:D :D :D
I think your eligibility rules will rule out virtually everyone that posts on the chatter boards!

Eligibility
1. To participate you must be logged into the chatter boards and post your submission in this thread. No other forms of entry will be accepted.

Prizes
Umm - have to think about this one!

stevepearson

Post by stevepearson » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:15 am

how many entries per person/user account?

Jeff

Post by Jeff » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:23 am

I rather suspect that Dee's prediction will prove to be uncannily accurate as it's her site that will produce the results.

Dee

Post by Dee » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:26 am

stevepearson wrote:how many entries per person/user account?
Each person may enter once only, however a given user may enter on behalf of other members of the family so may enter multiple times :)

Dee

Post by Dee » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:27 am

Jeff wrote:I rather suspect that Dee's prediction will prove to be uncannily accurate as it's her site that will produce the results.
Are you suggesting that I might cheat :shock: :shock: :shock:

Actually hoping I'm wrong by a long way!

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:03 pm

Since Dee is allowing committee members to enter, my entry has to be 42.

After all it is the answer to "life the universe and everything" (for those of us mature enough to remember), so it must be right.

As for a prize, I would suggest a Shepperton breakfast at next year's Div 1. It wIll mean Dee gets help at an event as well as a tasty prize. If the club will not donate it then all entrants should chip in a little to cover the costs. :-)
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Dee

Post by Dee » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:16 pm

Canadian Paddler wrote:Since Dee is allowing committee members to enter, my entry has to be 42.

After all it is the answer to "life the universe and everything" (for those of us mature enough to remember), so it must be right.

As for a prize, I would suggest a Shepperton breakfast at next year's Div 1. It wIll mean Dee gets help at an event as well as a tasty prize. If the club will not donate it then all entrants should chip in a little to cover the costs. :-)
I like!

All of it.