Best kayak?

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Rick

Best kayak?

Post by Rick » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:24 am

Please share your thoughts on modern slalom kayak designs.

For a racer around 175-180cm height, and 75-80kg:
Which boat design is fastest?
Which is the fastest British-built design?
Which designs to avoid?

It'll help me make a purchase, and might just get me back to racing after 15 years.

thanks,
Rick

WindsorCC

Re: Best kayak?

Post by WindsorCC » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:17 am

I'm a C1 paddler so not really up on the pro's and con's of different kayak designs, but I would say that especially if you're getting back into paddling after a break, go for something higher volume, so maybe cut for 85kg (XL in Vajda boats) as it'll be more forgiving especially on moving water.

Boats have changed a lot over the last 15 years, and they'll all feel very different to what you'd have been paddling back then.

I'd suggest going for something stable and predictable that's going to be enjoyable while you get back into it, rather than something more radical that might have a steeper learning curve. The kayak paddlers on here should be able to give a steer as to what's worth considering/avoiding.

There's a growing Vets class so you don't have to end up sitting on the start line with a load of whippet 45kg J14/16s!

Hope to see you on the start line soon.

Paul.

Rick

Post by Rick » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:52 pm

thanks Paul, sound advice.

Hey there kayak racers - tell me which boat you currently paddle, and the boat you wish you could use for your next slalom race (if different).
:?:

cheers,
Rick :D

Heritage 110

Post by Heritage 110 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:40 pm

Hey Rick

I’d try a TJ Composites Maverick, you’re welcome to try mine at many of the div 2’s this year....
Mines cut for 95kg so might be a bit big, but you’ll get an idea.. great value and British made.

S

Hydrasports

Post by Hydrasports » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:53 pm

We have a demo boat in large of the Salto 2, the latest model from Vajda.

Is there any reason why you mention British-built models? On the world scene you are unlikely to find anyone using a British built boat, Vajda and Galasport are the most popular by far.
Sales@hydrasports.co.uk
www.hydrasports.co.uk
Twitter @hydrasportsuk
Facebook.com/hydrasportsuk

BaldockBabe

Post by BaldockBabe » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:19 am

Jim McConnachie makes boats from his place in Wales. JEM - they seem to be getting very popular on the British scene. I am not sure what he has in terms of demo boats but his contact details are on http://www.jem-racing.co.uk/

T J Composites

Post by T J Composites » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:24 am

Hi Rick,

Great to hear people want to buy British!

I'd recommend buying a boat for cut your weight, you don't want to be lugging a big boat around that's no fun and ain't quick. If you are going to be racing at the likes of Lee valley then you could always have a little extra volume in the front half of the boat and keep the tail nice and whippy!

Our "Revolver" is proving to be a very fast design designed and built in North Wales from British woven materials.

Feel free to ring me on 07764491671 to organise a go in a demo boat. Or visit our website tjcomposites.co.uk for more information.

Being a small company we also don't have to charge Vat so our prices are also very competitive!

Thanks
Toby
T J Composites

toby@tjcomposites.co.uk

Tjcomposites.co.uk

Slapdash Sal

Post by Slapdash Sal » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:24 pm

I love my salto.
Great on all British rivers - I am 60kg but paddle a small and it's fabulous, even on Lee Valley Olympic course.
Despite my tendency to lean back!! Old school!
Try the demos out.
Sal

Rick

Post by Rick » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:18 pm

thanks for all the responses.
I agree that Vajda and Galasport boats seem the most used, which prompted me to think why that was since British slalom kayak design used to be world leading.
I think there are 3 key reasons for my interest in British-built kayaks, (assuming the designs are competitive) - please say if you disagree with any:
1. price to the customer and value for money: the exchange rate isn't what it used to be; no importer/agent fee; also the point raised by Toby that small company doesn't charge VAT
2. delivery time: I guess getting a new boat from abroad may take longer and with less certainty when it'd arrive
3. on reflection, my historical preference to buy local: growing up in the midlands, my first slalom kayak was an Elektra from Krakatoa in Bedford, then from Willenhall-based Arrowcraft several Pyranha-designed boats (premier 2, a premier 4, then a Reflex), from Derby a P&H-built Reflex, then an Arrowcraft-built Touch 3 (Mike Dalton's stable). Still using the Touch 3 when I coach down at Harefield (with The Sharks on Sunday mornings).

You've all inspired me to try some demo boats - I'll let you know how I get on!
:?
Rick

JoS

Post by JoS » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:15 pm

That's the same size as me! I bought the first second hand boat I could fit my bum in and could paddle without the tail being underwater - a Nomad Force. Delilah has been doing well for 6 years (!!) with the occasional repair. We haven't got out of div 3 but I blame the paddler, not the boat!

I'm told the bottom is very rounded which helps get away with some fairly dire edge mistakes - I managed to keep a low brace going all the way along the wavetrain at Howsham once. The next 20 times, I swam :D Probably not that fast a boat, quite high volume and I find it hard to dip the tail (though that is probably at least 50% fear) but again it's probably the engine that needs most work ;)

What I do like about it being quite big is that the thigh braces are big enough to put an edge on without slipping but there is still a decent gap in the middle for the traditional mid-race embarrassing swim. One thing I would change is that the footrest runners are quite short, I went to Nomad in Llangollen for a new seat (and they are lovely blokes, really keen to work with you and explain what they're doing) and they also re-drilled some holes and moved the runners down a bit while they were there, but I am still right at the end now and my legs aren't that long. But then I bought it off somebody quite short, so if you got a new one I guess you could get it right to start with.

You can try it at a slalom if we coincide, I am div3 k1W bib 22. But if you crash and make a hole I *will* make you sit there with the hairdryer while the epoxy dries.

Rick

Post by Rick » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:47 pm

Jo,
thanks for sharing - I'm glad your happy with 'Delilah'; and another vote for larger volume providing greater security ...
Great to hear Nomad are still providing great products and service
Rick :D

mally

Post by mally » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:43 pm

I returned to slalom a couple of years ago. Currently paddle a TJ Composites revolver, which meets your criteria. Its fast and also turns well on the tail, as well as being pretty stable.