Behaviour

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
djberriman

Behaviour

Post by djberriman » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:18 pm

It is sad I have to post this but although we had a great weekend (other than some of our kit going missing paddle, ba and spraydeck) what really annoyed us as volunteers was the behaviour of one or two individuals that caused extra unnecessary and unpleasant work for us.

I'm sure its only one or two involved but please can all parents, coaches and paddlers try to make everyone aware that locking toilet doors from the outside when not in use, stealing toilet rolls from the toilets and worst of all putting bottles in the toilets is totally unacceptable.

If you see anyone doing this at any event please report it to control so we can stamp it out.

Our volunteers had to do extra 'patrols' to check doors, replace toilet rolls and I and another volunteer had to fish out bottles on at least 3 occasions from the poo and wee.

So if you know anyone who drinks from yellow and orange 500ml lucozade bottles you may want to have a word with them.

If you are short of a toilet roll or a rubbish bag, just ask, we would rather give you one than have to deal with this.

Should it happen next year and we catch those responsible they will be asked to leave immediately.

djberriman

Re: Behaviour

Post by djberriman » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:30 am

Just to let you know this has cost us £60, seems there was more bottles we hadn't spotted, at least 10 in one unit and other rubbish. Just what is going on in the world, especially as every toilet seat has a notice which you can not fail to see (not that it should need one).

This could cause us issues renting toilets in the future and thus mean we could not run the event.

:(

Mike Mitchell

Post by Mike Mitchell » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:34 pm

Hi Duncan

I have also just seen your Facebook post.
This is disgusting.

I have spent most of my life on building sites with these toilets and never have witnessed this sort of behaviour.

Dont give up running these events just because some ideates spoil it for everyone.

Someone knows who did this and they need naming and shaming.

Suspend there ranking for the year and cancel any races they have entered.
It needs stamping out now.

Dee

Post by Dee » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:40 pm

Mike Mitchell wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:34 pm
.. and cancel any races they have entered.
I'm hoping you mean cancel their entries rather than the actual race!

I'm not convinced about public shaming as this could make it very difficult for the individual to turn the behaviour around, but some form of punishment/compensation should be in order.
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:38 am

I won't stop running the event but if this continues we may be forced to.

Not only is there a cost (fine) but there was also the unpleasant task for two of us to remove stuff during the event, we thought it was just the odd bottle or two but it seems some were making a determined effort to put bottles in. In addition we had the old chestnut of one or more people locking doors from the outside.

We are very limited in who will supply us with toilets especially if we want a Saturday empty/clean as we do now. It may be that in the future we can not source toilets.

Hopefully someone knows who was drinking the various drinks involved and can have words with those concerned. Please make an effort to do so as otherwise the sport will lose a venue and a race weekend.

I really don't want me or any of my volunteers to spend the weekend policing toilets, its bad enough asking them to keep restocking the (stolen) toilet rolls and cleaning them.