Modified Scores

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
oldandslow

Modified Scores

Post by oldandslow » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:05 pm

Modified scores
At the moment, when scores are compared to another division (in VETs, Paddle-up and inquorate events) if the score does not correspond exactly with a competitor in the corresponding division, the points awarded to the next highest placed competitor will be used. I propose that the points should be that of the next lower placed competitor.
The reason for this is again because of the VET’s. For example…
A division 3 VET could have come 2nd as compared to the main division but will achieve 250 points. Another VET could be considerably faster but would also achieve 250 points.

Proposal by Donna Hawkins of Matlock Canoe Club

B4.1.4 Paddle Up Points Calculation
Where a score does not correspond exactly with a score in the host division event, points will be awarded for the next place lower.

B4.2 Calculating Points Inquorate event
Where the Competitor’s modified score does not correspond exactly with a competitor in the corresponding Kayak Men event, then the points awarded to the next lower placed Kayak Men competitor will be used.

B5.3.1 Calculating Points
Where a Veteran’s score does not correspond exactly with a score in the Divisional event, points awarded to the next place lower will be used.
Life is what happens when you're making other plans.

JimW

Re: Modified Scores

Post by JimW » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:53 pm

But the paddler has beaten the person in the next real position down - their modified time is faster.

I know it isn't a true reflection, the actual modification factors don't seem to correlate well when you check results of paddlers who double up classes, but that is the premise of the thing.

Dee

Post by Dee » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:38 pm

I'm a bit reluctant to modify existing systems that work for most in order to fix an issue with Vets.
Vets are an anomally because you could end up with paddlers of Prem/1/2/3 standard all paddling at div 3. They could all end up with the same points but that really is to be expected.
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

harratts

Post by harratts » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:42 pm

I think that what Donna is trying to say in this proposal is that when a paddlers time is "slotted in and compared to any main class" (this applies not just Vet.s but for all incorate classes) then they should not be awarded with the points equivalent to the person who would have finished above them based on their time.

Jim has quite rightly said that he would not like to be awarded with the points equivalent to the person who would have finished below them based on their time which is also quite right as they would have beaten them had they been in the same race.

Is it that difficult for Simply Slalom to be programmed look at where a Paddler would have finished when "slotted in", add the points for the Paddler who would have finished ahead of them to the points for the Paddler who would have finished behind them and divide by 2?

Perhaps this should be the proposal.
Steve