VET points Plan B

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Steve Holmes

Re: VET points Plan B

Post by Steve Holmes » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:58 am

As a new vet, I don’t really have a huge opinion on this, as I don’t care about ranking, I just want to paddle at the events I take my daughter to, and maybe go to the odd event for me. I find myself in the opposite position to a lot of the disgruntled. All of my points are at div 3s, whereas if I’d gone to div 2 events I’d get more points.
With regards the whole age thing “you’re not a vet unless you’re a grandparent!”, I would be happy with a rule change that says you have to be over 60 to get a prize!

JohnMac

Re: VET points Plan B

Post by JohnMac » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:22 pm

Was not the original intention of Vets to allow Parents to paddle apart from the Division of Siblings? This gives parents an opportunity to watch. The system 2018 goes one better and allows Dad to follow through as improving youth jumps up divisions :) Surely most VETs are content just to be on a start line, not risking the Divisional race tussle, for instance a slow boat in VETs is a non-issue, whereas in a competitive Division can be a risk to a faster paddler.

Pulling a single ranking list out of a Divisional system is always going to produce anomolies. A VETs points adjustment could indeed offer a better representative ranking list. We have plenty of theoretical suggestions mentioned, but where is the proof? A real challenge is to create a solution so good it could be used beyond VETs, across all divisions :)