Opening for Entries

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Dee

Re: Opening for Entries

Post by Dee » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:28 pm

paddlerparent wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:50 am
Is it as simple as letting organizers decide in the same way they did for the old card entry system?

.........or does that complicate things for the online entries (possibly prompting this thread)?
canoeslalomentries already allows organisers to set their own opening date, but most will just take the default, so I do need to set the default
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

lesf

Post by lesf » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:03 pm

I don't see how setting an opening date solves the problem of those first in getting the few paddle up or officials places - it will still be whoever is organised and gets in on the relevant dates.

Events that fill months before the event are the exception and usually due to some particular circumstance (a reduced capacity, running a championship alongside it etc).

I'd agree the opening date for online and postal entries needs to be the same for an event, but think it is up to the organiser to set the date for the event. If is felt we need a rule for this (and i'm yet to be convinced) then something to set a default along the lines of "Entries for all events open on xth Jan unless the organiser sets a later date. Any entries received before the advertised opening date will be rejected".

JimW

Post by JimW » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:07 pm

How about if the committee delay publishing the new bib lists until the date entries are to open, that should stop premature postal entries - can't fill in your cards correctly without a bib number. I bet some try though! :mrgreen:

Dee

Post by Dee » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:16 pm

lesf wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:03 pm
"Entries for all events open on xth Jan unless the organiser sets a later date. Any entries received before the advertised opening date will be rejected".
Arrrgh - My original query was basically asking what 'x' should be! The trouble is I need a real number to replace x. What should x be?
lesf wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:03 pm
I ... think it is up to the organiser to set the date for the event.
I'm happy with this and some did so this year, I was just asking if people felt it worked OK having random opening dates.
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:04 pm

How about a default of 3 months before event unless an earlier date is specified by the organiser.

I'm quite happy to accept entries much earlier than 1st April for my event in July.

Perhaps different rule for Prem and Div 1 but please don't put forward a motion for all events.

Dee

Post by Dee » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:36 pm

FWIW I don't think a rule change is really needed here, though I'd be happy enough to support something specific if it helped.

However, I just wanted to get a feeling from others when the default open date should be. Traditionally, it was effectively controlled by organisers details becoming available on canoeslalom.co.uk and before that the year book.

lesf

Post by lesf » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:43 am

what 'x' should be!
I'm happy with 4th Jan like it was this year, but if people feel that's a bit close to the holidays, then a week later?

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:28 pm

I don't see how setting an opening date solves the problem of those first in getting the few paddle up or officials places - it will still be whoever is organised and gets in on the relevant dates.
As an organiser, it makes little odd whether Paddle up and officials are allocated on a first come first served basis or an alternative basis. From a paddler point of view it does. However, for full events, it is great to see sufficient officials entering as this makes the weekend judging rotas so much easier to run.

Assuming we continue with first come first served (which I think is likely as other options too hard to administer) the open date becomes important for the paddle ups and official places. I appreciate that changes should not be made for the minority. At least if the entry dates were staggered, it is likely to be different paddlers getting the few paddle up and officials places.

I suspect based on the experiences of this year, that the number of officials at some races may be limited to enable more ranking entries to be accepted. Also as people this year have worked out how the system works, they will be more organised next year.

All , do we want all events set up in time for the 'open date' or accept that they will just randomly come on line as organisers set the event up?

If I were a paddler , I'd be tempted to jump the gun and send in officials and paddle up entries by post to beat the online system to increase the chances of an entry!

Dee

Post by Dee » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:34 pm

CeeBee wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:28 pm
All , do we want all events set up in time for the 'open date' or accept that they will just randomly come on line as organisers set the event up?
I don't think we have an option as this is entirely dependant on the organisers and not all will set up their competition early enough to be ready mid-January. (There have been a couple go up in the last couple of weeks).

We cannot delay until everyone is ready!

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:37 pm

if its not available online I'd expect organisers will reject them or wait until the official opening day (if they remember) and add them to the online system, as postal entries.

Dee sets up the events with a default opening date which was really what her question was about. Very little for organisers to do unless they want to change the defaults.

Dee

Post by Dee » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:48 pm

At the moment competitions do not show on the online system until the organisers have published them. I'm thinking of changing this for next year so that:

Competitions are shown on the menu as soon as created:
  • When I have initiated the setup by creating the competition it will say 'Coming Soon'
  • When the competition is published it will show the date that the competition opens
  • When the open date is reached it will show open for entry
This might stop paddlers jumping the gun. I'm also hoping that I can coordinate with Nick so that competition details are published by him at the same time as the initial default date for the year is reached.

Organisers intending to set a later opening date on the system should let Nick know so that it can be added to the canoeslalom site.

Dee

Post by Dee » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:53 pm

I also think that organisers should be able to choose not to have their postal addresses published so that where a paddler wants to enter by post they will email for the info first.

My reasoning behind this is to protect the privacy of the organisers and the safety of their properties - by publishing their addresses we are telling the world that they won't be home that weekend!

I believe that there are few enough postal entries now to make this a viable option and organisers can still choose to have their postal addresses if they think it is not.

Is there anyone out there who agrees and would be able to raise a motion to this effect?