Tweaks for online entries?

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Dee

Re: Tweaks for online entries?

Post by Dee » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:36 pm

I think champs might use all ages ie J11, J12, J13, J14, J15 etc rather than just odds.

FYI Sponsor is currently deliberately excluded on SS import (I wasn't aware of this) in order to keep
- results for ranking database clean
- field small enough to fit on pdf generated by SS for start list and results.

My belief is that it does get imported into timing system, but is probably then stripped out again on import to SS to send results to ranking db.
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:03 pm

Simply Slalom will support J6/J8 next year so at events if the year of birth is entered J6 or J8 will pop up and be in the results.

Ranking database will support J8, if enough paddlers get ranked as J6 I'm sure this can be extended (its not my decision) but as yet we only have two J8s let alone any J6s. As I currently have a J6 believe me I was up for it but agree with the decision.

C2s are indeed ranked on oldest paddler.

Looks like there will be lots of extra new features in SS next year to help organises but I'll let DS make his own annoucements.

Next year it will be more important that paddler infromation is accurate as div 4 promotees will be autopmatically added to the database when they are promoted. So please help Nick and myself by taking time to correctly enter full names, year of birth, club etc, particularly for on the day entries.

Patrick O'Hara

Post by Patrick O'Hara » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:19 pm

Firstly I'd just like to add what a massive difference the online entry system made to running our 2 Div 2/3/4 events this year, this has been a great step forward.

I was going to add a request to find a way of adding the few entries that were not possible online this year but it looks like its already covered if scratch C2s are added and promoted Div4 paddlers are automatically added to the database when results are uploaded. The only other one that I can remember being a bit difficult was unranked officials. I think we did manage to do this by entering them as Div4 and selecting the officials class but it wasn't obvious, it would be good to a clear way of an unranked official entering online.

Dee

Post by Dee » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:42 pm

I have done Div 4 refactoring and the waiting list sort (just hoping that I haven't introduced a load of bugs!), so thought I'd have a look at putting the 'day' onto the card printing as a bit of light relief!

Problem I have is where to put it?
If you look at the pre-printed cards much of the available real estate is greyed out - in fact the only areas that are not are those that are in use for name, club, etc. Any ideas?
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

JimW

Post by JimW » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:26 am

Can you add the day to the race name?

InsertUsernameHere

Post by InsertUsernameHere » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:49 am

Hi Dee,

I dug out some preprinted and slalom entry printed cards from my “shredding to-do pile”.

I wonder if the best place would be above “start bib” between “run 1” and “run 2”. This is blank on the canoe slalom entries cards and greying the printed cards.

I think black printed over grey on the pre-printed cards would be fine (and people have the option of completing the back of these). I think SAT or SUN would be sufficient. (SAT in black SUN in red would just be amazing)

Also I wonder how many people use the pre-printed cards for printing on to? I have never done it, nor seen it done at any comps I’ve been too.

Thanks - and sorry the easy thing wasn’t easy.

Dee

Post by Dee » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:07 pm

The problem with printing onto the grey area is that it will be barely visible.

Having said that as the cards are printed as two batches by day, I'm not sure how necessary it is. We just printed Sunday's cards on Saturday night so no room for confusion, but I realise that is not going to work for everyone, so will give it a go.

I don't know what card is used for printing (perhaps I should record which format people download!), but I think some do use pre-printed cards as they are easy to split (the A4 card is perforated between individual score cards).

Patrick O'Hara

Post by Patrick O'Hara » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:50 pm

I do use the pre-printed cards as it makes it easy to separate them using the perforations. If you are still looking for somewhere to put SAT and SUN, I'd suggest either:
1. Top right hand corner of the card, perhaps moving the name and club to the left so as to ensure there is no overlap with long names.
2. In the age group box, moving the age group to the bottom of the box, I suggested this box as it is not normally required to run the event.

JimW

Post by JimW » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:02 pm

Just had a new idea - would it be possible to allow filtering of entries by club (on a viewing basis only) so we can easily work out who has entered for lift sharing etc?
We could of course just talk to each other, but mostly that is done online now...

Dee

Post by Dee » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:45 pm

Organisers can sort entries by club on the manage entries pages but I think you are talking about paddlers here.

Could you not just do a Ctrl+F and find the club name on the web page? Once your club is highlighted it should be pretty easy to spot.

(Or on an macbook will be cmd+f, or on an ipad/iphone - tap share icon (box with up arrow) and then the magnifying glass)

I can't help feeling that this really would be using a sledge-hammer to crack a nut!

JimW

Post by JimW » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:12 pm

I had no idea I could do that!

Dee

Post by Dee » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:41 pm

You learn something new every day

Ctrl+f has its limitations (won’t do a fuzzy search). But you can however use on any web page

Dee

Post by Dee » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:19 pm

InsertUsernameHere wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:54 pm
Some additions that would be helpful ...
- Date (or Day) printed on entry cards - to help with double events ...
I have squeezed the day in between the Run 1/Run 2 headings.
It probably won't be very visible on on the pre-printed cards (I haven't got round to printing any yet), but should just about visible as black on grey - will probably depend a bit on printer and ink!

At the same time I've tweeked so that Division box show rankingDivision as well as officials and shows Vet for vets, which was something else mentioned towards the end of last year.

Dee

Post by Dee » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:30 pm

InsertUsernameHere wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:54 pm
Some additions that would be helpful
- Div 4 - sep boxes for forename /surname (a surprising number of entrants failed to put their surname in)
- Date (or Day) printed on entry cards - to help with double events
- Sponsor doesn’t pull through to simply slalom (or didn’t in June when I needed it to - I think this might be a simply slalom issue)
- Set time for it to close - eg 5pm on Friday night (I would then print etc on Friday evening)
- Could there be an option record J8s? (It’s the only gripe I had from parents)
So of the original requests

- Div 4 - I haven't split the boxes, but have changed the label to Full Name - will look at splitting later.
- Date now on cards
- I believe that Dave has resolved the sponsor bit plus I'm now pulling sponsors from ranking database where available and Duncan has added to the current rankings on www.canoeslalom.co.uk
- Time - probably not and definitely not this year
- J8s Duncan added to ranking db and I've added to div 4s entry process (also added J6 - not completely unheard of)

C2s still all go down as Senior though - will look at that a some point.

Steve Holmes

Post by Steve Holmes » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:57 pm

There were 3 j6 just at Howsham last year.