Tweaks for online entries?

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
InsertUsernameHere

Tweaks for online entries?

Post by InsertUsernameHere » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:54 pm

I see that Dee is doing some work on online entries over winter and thought it might be timely share my reflections of using it organising Div3/4 competitions.

It has be great to use and fantastic as an organiser (and a parent entering paddlers).

Things that I really value so please keep

- Colour coded entry cards
- Print out/sign in sheets - really helpful for seeing if div 4s have sca/bc etc
- Ability to add postal entries (in fact these tend to be email entries)
- Ability to email everyone - separated by division (Officials - what jobs you have, div 4 - collect your bibs)
- Allocate and print bib numbers before hand.
- Able to update info. (Eg add a link to competition info)

Some additions that would be helpful
- Div 4 - sep boxes for forename /surname (a surprising number of entrants failed to put their surname in)
- Date (or Day) printed on entry cards - to help with double events
- Sponsor doesn’t pull through to simply slalom (or didn’t in June when I needed it to - I think this might be a simply slalom issue)
- Set time for it to close - eg 5pm on Friday night (I would then print etc on Friday evening)
- Could there be an option record J8s? (It’s the only gripe I had from parents)

We received no entries through the post. Our postal entries were either email or club members who have personally handed me cards.

But even if none of the tweaks above were possible - the system is still amazing!!

Dee

Re: Tweaks for online entries?

Post by Dee » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:02 am

Re the closing time - this probably won't happen, at least in foreseeable future. However, work around is to set closing date for following day until you want to print/download. At that point just reset closing date and comp will close.
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:38 am

- Sponsor doesn’t pull through to simply slalom (or didn’t in June when I needed it to - I think this might be a simply slalom issue)

Club and sponsor details come from the ranking database, please contact your bib officer to amend. Details do not feed back into the ranking database and thus are not updated in simply slalom. This is to prevent random clubs/sponsor appearing in the ranking database (you can imagine what people might enter if it was so).

I'm just creating the 2019 ranking database and it has J8, there aren't many (2 it appears).

I'll contact Dave Spencer for SS as it is likely J8 and J6 are more often entry on the day problems. It's nice to be able to identify them on the day easily. I guess online entry also has to reflect this. J6 won't be on the ranking database though.

Dee

Post by Dee » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:59 am

djberriman wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:38 am

Club and sponsor details come from the ranking database, please contact your bib officer to amend. Details do not feed back into the ranking database and thus are not updated in simply slalom. This is to prevent random clubs/sponsor appearing in the ranking database (you can imagine what people might enter if it was so).
Not strictly true - if paddlers want sponsors in the year book then they need to get their details amended on the ranking database. However,
whilst for ranking paddlers clubs come from the ranking database, sponsors are entered by the paddler at the time of entry and should pass through to SS in the import. A specific example would be useful.
djberriman wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:38 am

I'm just creating the 2019 ranking database and it has J8, there aren't many (2 it appears).

I'll contact Dave Spencer for SS as it is likely J8 and J6 are more often entry on the day problems. It's nice to be able to identify them on the day easily. I guess online entry also has to reflect this. J6 won't be on the ranking database though.
I have already added J6 and J8 which will get picked up for div 4s entering online. For ranking paddlers age category is taken from ranking db, so if J8 there it should come through as J8
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

InsertUsernameHere

Post by InsertUsernameHere » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:06 am

We were using the sponsor field to collect other info - (not actual sponsors) - the school name for the schools competition. I could see it in the file that was exported to simply slalom - but not when uploaded.

So it’s not really a sponsorship issue per se (makes sense to avoid random entries in the ranking database). Is there an alternative work around to record other data via online entries that does get pulled through to simply slalom. This would primarily be for championship type events.

Great to hear the J8/J6s are added.

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:17 am

Only club is uploaded in results I think, check the pdf version of the results to confirm. It's hard for me to check as I don't have a specific race/paddler to confirm.

In a similar fashion as a paddler can presumably enter anything in sponsor it could lead to some interesting things being published.

You need to contact Dave Spencer for changes to Simply Slalom.

InsertUsernameHere

Post by InsertUsernameHere » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:27 am

It’s the Scottish schools event in June at Alva. In the end we used the CL field for school name. (Cutting and pasting from the online entry text file into simply slalom)

Dee

Post by Dee » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:05 pm

I've sent Dave a copy of the Alva download for last June.

The schools/sponsor is added to the club field so I would have thought they should be in club field.

We can't use the CL field as this could upset points calcs at other comps

JimW

Post by JimW » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:11 pm

There may only be two ranked J8s, but I think you will find a lot more in division 4 (and thus not officially ranked), including J6s as noted. There are even younger competing in C2 but without checking the rules, I think the age group is based on the older crew member?

I think previously the Scottish Schools results have been worked out manually and awarded on the day without the actual schools results being published, so you have already managed to improve on that by using the Class column this year!

There are a number of other championships that run within ranking slaloms throughout the year that might benefit from some additional options for results in SS (which is really a separate issue for Dave and nothing to do with Dee and Duncan, although Dee might be interested in collecting the appropriate data originally). I think the Scottish Junior champs are designated in 2 year even number bands similarly to the ranking database, but British Junior champs seems to be 2 year bands based on odd number ages. I think in the past organisers got to see the DOB when entering cards, but that is hidden in online entries (good data protection!) so for the last couple of years they have had to ask people to write their ages on a list on the day. Either way having a championship option to sort results per age group in addition to the division/open results might be useful, and would ensure that the champs results are published online (many aren't) for all to see. I'm thinking J18,U23,S and vets all need sorting at certain competitions, not just the J6-J16/7. (Also Pan Celtic).
I have Jim McPherson to thank for the comprehensive list of Scottish Champions this year which he compiled separately to the SS results and added to the PDF for publication. And don't forget to let the wee ones know for next year that there are also J8 trophies for most classes, there are very few names on them so it would be nice to see them getting won!

JimW

Post by JimW » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:17 pm

Dee wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:05 pm
I've sent Dave a copy of the Alva download for last June.

The schools/sponsor is added to the club field so I would have thought they should be in club field.

We can't use the CL field as this could upset points calcs at other comps
Could the (not very well understood) organisers free text field be used (don't click the option to sort by it) if Dave can import it as new field in SS?

Dee

Post by Dee » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:36 pm

That's limited to 5 characters.
It's primary use was for British Champs, and pan-celtic. It does get exported to the class column for SS and the age column for timing team, but I think making it longer could cause issues with layouts of results etc.

My gut feel is that it would be better to try and add a field that paddlers complete on entry either from a drop down list as defined by organiser or as free text, but it is hard to think of an easy way of adding to the interface without cluttering it up for those unfamiliar with entering races.

If you want to remind me then ping me an email after end of January and I'll have another look at it then. Priority order is currently:
- Christmas! (yup! I try to have a life outside of canoeslalomentries :P )
- Div 4 refactor (I need to do this before the other three)
- Next years races
- Waiting list ordering
- Scratch C2 entry

InsertUsernameHere

Post by InsertUsernameHere » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:44 pm

Jim, you have just reminded me - the C1 events at the Scottish Schools the age groups include none standard such as U15s etc. It was managed through a mixture of knowing the paddlers and asking the paddlers - but access to year of birth (not birth date) would be lovely.

InsertUsernameHere

Post by InsertUsernameHere » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:48 pm

I’ll email you in the new year - as I say we did manage! And the priority always needs to be what works for the majority :D

JimW

Post by JimW » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:49 pm

Maybe it Scottish schools rather than British Juniors that use the odd ages, or maybe every year? I knew I had seen it somewhere!

InsertUsernameHere

Post by InsertUsernameHere » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:52 pm

I think you are right about British juniors - I think they use every year.