Entering both as an official and paddle up

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
RobM

Entering both as an official and paddle up

Post by RobM » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:20 pm

This seems to be a new thing. At Tully Prem we had 21 officials entries. The waiting list was such that all paddle up entries have been offered a place, so now we only have 10 officials as 11 of them had also entered as paddle up. So from having more then enough gate judges, we now don't have enough. Is it me or is this a new thing to enter a race twice?

djberriman

Re: Entering both as an official and paddle up

Post by djberriman » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:35 pm

Unintended consequences of the PU rule change.

Paddle Ups are now restricted by their PU% rather than when they enter. So these paddlers have taken the view to ensure they get an entry by entering officials as well rather than instead.

Not sure you are allowed to enter a race twice although I can see why they did it.

JimW

Post by JimW » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:00 pm

Its a smart thing if not a new thing and not clearly against the rules, until the PU entry is accepted, at which point officials entries have to be cancelled.

Did you try contacting the paddlers to see if they still wished to pay for PU or if they would actually prefer to get a free race in exchange for some judging? Trouble is many won't have raced yet this year so have no idea if they are likely to get useful points from PU yet.

I am entered as a Veteran only, but can help out if required - I haven't seen a request for help for your event yet and keep forgetting to pipe up!. I'm about to start chasing for help with safety cover for the following weekend if any of your prem paddlers can spare an hour or 2...

JimW

Post by JimW » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:06 pm

djberriman wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:35 pm
Not sure you are allowed to enter a race twice although I can see why they did it.
You can't enter officials and ranking or championship at P and 1, and need the organisers agreement in 2 & 3 but are you actually entered whilst on the waiting list for a PU? I think Dee has taken the view that until the PU is confirmed the system will permit officials entry, but flags to let the organiser see if they want to permit it?

Actually the wording does have an impact on my entries for Tully 1 since I have entered the Pan Celtic as an official in C1 and vet in K1, which doesn't comply. I may need to change to PU in C1?

Dee

Post by Dee » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:20 pm

Yup. My view, rightly or wrongly, has been that until your entry is accepted and payment details provided, it is not an entry.

This means that PUs can enter officials whilst waiting to see if they get a PU entry.

If we didn't allow this we would effectively be asking paddlers to estimate whether or not they will get a paddle up - I think this would be cruel!

It also means that those on the waiting list can remove their entry themselves by going to https://www.canoeslalomentries.co.uk/ye ... my-entries until such time as the organiser offers them a place.

It does mean that organisers do end up cancelling some officials entries, but I can't see another way around this. Hopefully you will have some paddlers on the waiting list ready to back fill.

Most organisers (at least for P/1 comps) do set a limit on officials entries. One option is for the organiser to estimate how many officials are likely to get paddle-ups and set the limit a bit higher to compensate. Of course, if you get it wrong you could have rather more officials than intended.
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

rose

Post by rose » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:08 pm

I will put an officials entry in and judge