Age discrimination

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
davebrads

Age discrimination

Post by davebrads » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:19 am

I am surprised that this hasn't raised its head already, but doesn't the existence of the veterans class contravene the equality act?

Only those over 34 can join it, and it has the huge advantage of allowing the competitor to race at any race and score points.

As it happens I have turned vet this year for the convenience of being able to race C1 alongside the C2 at division 2 races, but I would understand anybody who thought it unfair if they were excluded from this opportunity.

paddlerparent

Re: Age discrimination

Post by paddlerparent » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:05 pm

You old git - lol

Steve Agar

Post by Steve Agar » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:25 pm

Bit like the old age pension :D

Mike Mitchell

Post by Mike Mitchell » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:44 pm

Its been 14 Days since the last post on hear,

Good to see we still have some Vets out there.

Think you should get extra points for your Age Dave.

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:30 pm

I'm not sure on the legislation but such things happen throughout life so I'm sure its not illegal.

such as:-

free buss passes
age related discounts
travel passes

At the other end of the scale

To paddle on flat water at the worldcup at Lee Valley come and try it session required you to be 8 or older.
To paddle the Thames as part of the London Regatta you have to be over 16.

We also have rules at Div 4 that juniors club membership covers them but Adults aren't covered.

Age rules at the lower end are often very discriminating with no basis for experience or ability, something which I'm now experiencing and challenging wherever I can in order to make people think twice. The question I ask is how is an older child or adult with no experience safer than a younger child with lots of experience and good swimming/self rescue skills.

Personally I think VETS should start around 45

Steve Holmes

Post by Steve Holmes » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:05 pm

Just reread Duncan’s comment about vets starting at 45. That’s OK in principle, but I’m 43, and only racing at events I’m taking Chloe to. If I were ranked, I would be promoted to div 1 this year, not race next year, get demoted and race again in div 2, taking points off kids who need them to get promoted. Just a thought...