Help - plastic design/printing - wireless judging handset

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
djberriman

Help - plastic design/printing - wireless judging handset

Post by djberriman » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:47 am

HI,

I'm currently working on a wireless judging handset and my biggest issue is finding anything suitable to house it in, I've looked at literally hundreds of options but non suit. There actually seems to be a gap in the market. I'm not the only one who has had this issue.

I need a small as possible plastic box to house a 4x20 character display and a 4x4 key membrane keypad, with mounts inside to screw a small printed circuit board and retain a battery, with a couple of external connections (usb type b for charging and a 3 pin printer connection). I can post samples for you to work out layout.

Might be suitable as a project for someone at school/college perhaps?

The judging handset is working and I'm just working on the final code for my unit for control. Switch on and play, no network required/to configure.

Basically you can enter a bib, key in the penalties and its all transmitted to a box in control which collects all the different section results and prints the bib and all the gates and penalties so they can be entered into SS. This is just version 1. More will follow if it proves to work on the river bank.

If anyone can assist please get in touch.

Thanks
Duncan

CeeBee

Re: Help - plastic design/printing - wireless judging handset

Post by CeeBee » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:18 pm

Duncan, you should try contacting David Dickson. He runs CanoeTec but his main business is Protoshape and he can mould anything in plastic to fit your requirements.

JimW

Post by JimW » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:42 pm

I'm sure Davie will be interested in helping, but I'm also thinking it sounds similar to some items Tiffa Royle 3D printed to add charge sockets and stuff to their camper. So at least 2 avenues to explore!

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:54 am

Thanks for the responses, already talked to Dave Royle and Photoshape sounds interesting.

Development is coming on well too. Once I get this basic version finished and proven I'll look to extend it to other areas too.