Whats the score?

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
mk1zetec

Post by mk1zetec » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:25 am

After 15 years of not paddling and ending up putting on 6 and half stone in weight :( and i have decided to get back into a slalom boat. Initial trips out in a boat (K1) i have bought 2nd hand have made me wonder why i ever gave up in the 1st place, i love it.
My only problem is my size iam 6' 3" and now weigh 14 stone (90 kilos) (yes i was 20 stone 7lbs). The boat i have now is OK but a little under volume. Does anyone have an opinion on a suitable design that will suit someone of my size?
When i gave up at 19 years of age i was the same weight as i am now and had an extra high volume Nomad extra89. This boat was a revelation in comparison to the lower volume boats i had paddled before. Are there makers of such boats today?
I dont really want a boat which is designed for a maximum of 90 Kilos i would prefer to be a few kilos light of the designs maximum weight. Though i know things haven't changed much in slalom and big guys like me aren't the norm in slalom K1.
Also following a few sessions on the water i now know i would like to compete again and to be honest i am not as bad as i thought i would be after such a long lay off, whats the score with ranking these days? As i dont really want to do div 4 events, but if i have too, i will.

Kev.S

Post by Kev.S » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:26 pm

Your never too old or too big, there are plenty of boats out for the larger paddler, I should know i'm also 14 stone.

As for ranking if you were ranked fifteen years ago I dont think you could enter Div 4 anyway.

Ring John Woods number in the year book, he is the slalom ranking officer.
To err is human, if you really want to screw up, use a computer!!

Phil

Post by Phil » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:36 pm

Large volume boats currently available at the moment are

Double Dutch

Slingshot 85 and Ballista

Nomad

Force 365 and larger volume Energy due any day

Vajda

High volume Tuscan

Caiman

Premier

Demo boats available so try-out and see what suits you

As to ranking do a few judges runs to see how you compare and it'll help the ranking compiler know where to put you

mk1zetec

Post by mk1zetec » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:30 pm

Thanks for the advice peeps, i have contacted some of the manufacturers to see about trying their demo boats.

Mrs H

Post by Mrs H » Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:30 pm

Welcome back to slalom, probably know you as origionally from Harrow area and have been involved in slalom in one
way or another for over 30, certainly with my boys for about 17 years! Race at HPP this weekend, could do with some judges there, also Div1/Div 2 next weekend. Hope you enjoy your comeback and I am sure enjoy renewing some old aquaintances. Any questions please contact me, details in year book, slalom comittee chair.

:D