End Loops, Grab Loops, Toggles, - Are they a requirement

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Mr Fifty

Post by Mr Fifty » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:03 pm

The other day i was checking out my old Fury Sprint and found that the front elasticated grab loop had broken, (so that was were the water was getting in) anyway i would need six foot long arms to replace it. I can seal up the holes but are grab loops a requirement i cant find anything in the year book about them or maybe i was looking on the wrong page.
The only purpose these loops have as far as i can see is to hang the boat in the roof of my garage, i wouldnt want to get my fingers anywhere near them if my boat was full of water and on its way downstream without me in it. Were they just put on to satisfy the rules.
I would like some advice on this before i seal up the holes. :(

Phil

Post by Phil » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:23 pm

They are complusory see page 84 of the year book rule 19.1

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:55 pm

Page 102:
"These rules apply to all who visit the event (including any noncompeting BCU members. . . .Failure to comply shall be referred to the Slalom Committee and can involve disqualification for one or more events. . .
Loops made of cord having a minimum dimension . . . . etc"

So do not just cut them out. Wonder if those shortening their boats have remembered this rule? ???

I consider teh loops to have two purposes:
1) useful tie down points when on the car roof
2) DIY amputation for swimmer/rescuer if the whole hand is put into the loop :D
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Mr Fifty

Post by Mr Fifty » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:20 pm

Anyone got long arms?

FatBoy

Post by FatBoy » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:28 am

The reality is that no rescuer in their right mind would use them to rescue your boat, yet they are needed in the rules. My advice would be to bodge some sort of connection between the two ends of broken cord then wrap it in some narrow cord creating a new outer. Then glue both ends of the new outer into where the water is coming in. From a quick glance you've got a cord that meets the rules. If you do it well then it may even be strong enough to hang up in your garage! That's what I did with my old boat and it worked fine for many years.

Mr Fifty

Post by Mr Fifty » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:08 pm

Thanks for that. I managed to bodge up a repair using elasticated rope made a tight knot each end then forced it through the holes using a bit of vaseline as lube, i then washed it away with acetone and used araldite to glue it in.
It looks ok i shall test it out this weekend on the extreme white water that is Oughtibridge.
Cheers Now. :)