Google Ads now appearing on Topics - Will it pay for hosting this site?

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
SteveM
Site Admin

Post by SteveM » Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:30 pm

Hi all,

I've added Google ads to the site so they appear at bottom of each topic. They're supposed to be context sensitive (although they don't seem it at the moment...?), and should not get in the way of reading the board.

The idea is that I get a few pence for each click-through you guys make on an ad that is of interest. I've no idea how relevant these ads are going to be, but I'm hoping that over a year it'll pay a little towards my web hosting bill.

Let me know what you think!

Cheers,

Steve

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:48 pm

So If we click through on an add each time we visit, it might not cost Steve to run this board?

Ok I am off to look at Tesco mortgages, I do not want one, but its a click through!
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

SteveM
Site Admin

Post by SteveM » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:09 pm

Cheers CP, I've had a few clicks and made 25p now! (Before tax...)

Looks like I need 400 click-throughs to pay for one months ISP charges, so I doubt I can give up the day job :laugh: It'll help cover the difference between an ISP which hosts CGI and the cheaper ones that don't though, so it should be well worth having them.

Now I just need to work out why the ads are not more relevant ??? Maybe Google just need time to spider the pages again?

Steve

Vicky

Post by Vicky » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:00 pm

Natwest mortgages it is then ....

SteveM
Site Admin

Post by SteveM » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:46 pm

OK, more relevant ads are starting to appear... especially like the "Middle Aged Dating" one that comes up on CP's "Veteran" thread :D

SteveM
Site Admin

Post by SteveM » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:01 pm

Sorry about the lack of relevant ads. I need to modify the code in the Ikonboard software for this to work - I thought I had, but it seems it's not working as expected. I've just moved house, so it might be a week or two but I'll look at it as soon as I can.

Apologies,

Steve

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:41 pm

Hope we are still remembering to 'click through' I know I had forgotten for a while.

NatWest has never been so busy!:p
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

jim croft

Post by jim croft » Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:11 pm

:p I have just been on to Standard Life

Hope it helps

Jim

SteveM
Site Admin

Post by SteveM » Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:26 pm

Not had a chance to sort the ads yet, sorry. One thing though - although I appreciate the clicks :) - it's probably best not to click away at the same ads as it's against the letter of Google law.

If they think the ads are being abused (as each click costs the advertiser some money) they might take me off the scheme. Hopefully soon I'll get you some ads you may actually be interested in!

Cheers!

Steve