Promation to prem

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
fison

Post by fison » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:52 pm

Does any one know when and how many they will be putting up into prem :)
lets get it on

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:26 pm

The decision is traditionally made at the exec meeting the day after the ACM, and Nick usually manages to get teh info up quickly.

If you want to second guess, look at the number in Prem this year vs the number last year, then look for a 'jump' in points at around that level.

e.g. if there were 50 and 47 paddled, then look at the top five, if the first two are close then there is a bigger difference then it is likely to be 2.
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

tonka

Post by tonka » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:47 am

Hopefully there will be no end of year promotions from Div 1 to prem. Why do they need it after the Div 1 Championship where they automatically promoted the highest ranked div 1 paddler. I feel sorry for those who had to work hard for their promotion. All they needed to do was to go to no Div 1 races all year and then just win the Div 1 Championship. Look at the money they would have saved in entry and travel alone.

kanu.63

Post by kanu.63 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:39 pm

With the low turn outs to events it would make sense to promote more to prem to help organizing clubs with the high costs of running an event ,the BCU take a massive % of the entry fees.

c2canoeslalom

Post by c2canoeslalom » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:00 pm

Id have to disagree with you Kanu.63. By promoting too many people to Prem the sport becomes 'top heavy'. Think of the number of competitors in each division and then represent these numbers as a pyramid with the premier division at the top. A pyramid should have a wide base with sloping sides coming to a peak at the top. I believe that in canoeing the numbers in each division does not represent this style of pyramid. It is more of a honeycomb shape where there are too many competitors getting into the higher divisions.

I'm sure there will be number of people who will argue that there are more Div 4's than there are Div 3. But if you count the number of people who consistently race Div 4 and maybe even div 3 I expect the numbers are quite low.

Maybe somebody could raise the issue at the ACM. Would it be better to run each division like the football league where there are only end of season promotions? This would promote a need for consistent racing throughout the season and makes it interesting and more exciting in the last few races where there may be a group of consistent paddlers all battling for the several end of year promotion spots.

What are other people's thoughts. Is the sport getting 'top heavy' and so less people be promoted to Prem? Or do you think that more people should be promoted? If so, do you think that the current way of achieving promotion is adequate?
RESIST OR SERVE

ElaineF

Post by ElaineF » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:29 pm

Another thought .. if heading down the Football path .. how about end of season 'race-offs' .. the number in Prem being dictated both by promotions and relegations. It should be possible for more paddlers to be promoted if the standard at the top of Div1 is higher than at the bottom of Prem with numbers maintained by more relegations. Just a thought.

c2canoeslalom

Post by c2canoeslalom » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:33 pm

That is a good thought and will also keep the standard at the top of div 1 high for the following season. Or it should in theory.
RESIST OR SERVE

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:44 am

<Mounts soap box> :D
The idea of promoting more to prem (average attendance I believe arounf 100 paddlers, each paying over £10) to make them more viable, leaves less in div 2/3 where average attendance is lower and each paddler pays less, thus making div 3/4 events even less viable.

(see other thread for arguments on 'profit' from lower end events)

<Off soap box><Onto self promotion> :p
We are already promoting C2 paddlers faster than their ability (with appologies to anyone who feels slighted by this). Hence the Proteus Motion ot the ACM changing the way we promote C2s, this will slow down promotion, but we believe will not affect the size of Prem/1 as the paddlers affected generally give up.

When I get the agenda, I will post the various motions as polls to allow you all to express an opinion. Then try to get your clubs to vote appropriately.

If you do not have a club rep going to the ACM, but your club wants to vote, I will be going, and am willing to exercise your votes, provided you give clear instructions, and make it clear where/when I can use discretion. I will even vote against Proteus' motions if that is your wish.

EVEN Better! bring them to the winter slalm on 20th November (you knew I had to get it in there somewhere).
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

FatBoy

Post by FatBoy » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:23 am

Nice idea to have just end of season promotions in all divisions - like football. The comparison doesn't work though because football clubs don't suddenly get massive improvements in form, whereas individual paddlers do. By only allowing end of season promotion it would take a talented junior 4 full years before getting into Prem - not exactly good for junior development. Also not fair on those who are middle of the road Div 2 (say) getting beat every week by 20+ seconds by somebody who should be in Prem. There used to be only end of season from 1 to Prem - don't know why it was scrapped but I guess it was for those reasons. I'm sure somebody on here will know.

There are a few paddlers (C2's possibly the most?) who are getting out of their depths in Div1 and Prem but if they're that bad they'll get demoted back again. Maybe we need to make Div2 races tougher, and have more 1/2's rather than 2/3's? I think the balance of numbers is about right currently but I agree we don't want to promote any more than we are doing. It may be harsh and it may be me next year but if anything we need to demote more.

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:53 am

Like your idea of more div 1/2's, it would be excellent grounding for young paddlers coming through. It is too easy to be promoted from div3 with no experience of white water, and div 2 to div 1 is a large step up. :)

quaker

Post by quaker » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:04 pm

I believe that we should return to the old style end of season promotion for Div 1 paddlers. It would result in a far more competitive environment for the full season. I have spoken to several paddlers who don't believe themselves to be prem standard but who are in danger of getting promoted towards the end of a season because a lot of paddlers have already been promoted.

The argument that in would not help junior development is rubbish. Div I would be a very competitive environment and the juniors would have to "step up" to the challenge and provide consitent season long results. It is possible to be, being blunt about it, rubbish and still manage to stay in prem, all you have to do is be consistently getting all the gates and you will end up with around 1200 points at the end of the season (usually around 4-10 paddlers will get 50's). That is hardly going to help junior development. Leave everyone in Div 1 for the full season and they have to perform to get promoted... then equally demote a large proportion of paddlers from prem back down to Div 1.

As for the cost of the running the events... wise up... run either more doubles, or more combined events (e.g. P+1, 1+2, 2+3 etc...) to reduce the costs.

fison

Post by fison » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:22 pm

Well i did not except this responce but can i just add that i aggre with the point of been in div 1 for a year and then promted at the end of season. when i got prometed in 95 i think i had only had one top 10 result and yes this year had 5 top 10 results. I know i mite have sour grapes but it kepted the numbers at a constant level and not like the last 2 years where you would have 40 in one race and 60 the next as this has had a huge effect on the points given out to the numbers in the race hope you know what i mean :;):
lets get it on

kanu.63

Post by kanu.63 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:31 pm

I think this Fison geeza needs promoting so he can race against the big boys.