Changes at HPP

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
ElaineF

Post by ElaineF » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:00 pm

So what does everyone think of the changes made to HPP?

ratty

Post by ratty » Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:22 am

Well it is different! Great to have some changes but think that they need to sort out the changing shape/levels in the Office.

Lots of people there to try it out today braving the cold and wet.

c'bizcuit

Post by c'bizcuit » Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:58 pm

:) :) looks pretty mint evn through not been on it, everyone seemed to be likin the changes. its for the better

fison

Post by fison » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:15 pm

so whats happenend to the big stopper in the middle of the office bridge etc :)
lets get it on

chauffeur

Post by chauffeur » Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:11 pm

http://www.hppcc.co.uk/ has a link on their website to some pictures of the changes on the course.

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:23 pm

Interesting first time down to the new course, one boat broke it's tail in the sluice gate and another one broke it's nose stuck in one of the new features, so an expensive evening for a couple of people.

The sluice gate is very retentive you have been warned:0 the course it's self is very testing with some new eddy lines, unfortunatly the water level was very low so it is probably not shown in it's true light.
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

mk1zetec

Post by mk1zetec » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:57 pm

The broken nose sounds ominous! Roughly where on the course did that occur?

concerned

Post by concerned » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:03 pm

and the tail! Fore warned fore armed.

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:40 pm

OK, the nose got broke on the 1st block river right into the second pool, the boat got stuck nose into it upstream 'ouch' and then bent around the feature.

The tail got snapped coming through the sluice gate, as this is very retentive it sucked the paddler back into it tossed them around for quite a while and then after bailing out the boat stayed in the sluice for a while before being flushed out, but by then it had substained considerable damage to the tail.

Both the paddlers concerned are both experianced and div 1, so a warning to the more novice paddlers to take extra care!! Make sure if you are paddling through the sluice gate to have plenty of speed and edge your boat, if you take it flat and slow you will have big problems. It may well change with the water level, as it was low last night, but walk the course first and read the river before paddling.

concerned

Post by concerned » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:32 am

So, sorry to raise the issue of airbags - but would they have saved the boat in the sluice? I ask as we are contemplating them this season as div one courses loom.

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:59 am

If you are going to be competing in Div1 and have been newly promoted and not used to the grade of water then I would suggest that you use airbags, they do not affect the performance of the boat, the weight is minimal and the advantages of not having a boat full of water in the event of a swim is better for the rescue crews and the safety of all on the water, it can also save damage to the boat.

Hope this answers your question? If you would like any further information please send me a PM.

Cheers Graeme

fison

Post by fison » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:11 pm

not paddled on the new changes yet like what going to happen when the water gets turned up and then will it hold more or less this first wave :O
lets get it on

FatBoy

Post by FatBoy » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:23 pm

Should be a smaller wave as the ramp holding the water back will go flatter to allow more water through. That said I don't know what level that photo/boat getting trashed is on and you may be asking the wrong question. Perhaps the question is "How bad will it get at lower levels?".

I remember when I first used to paddle at HPP back in the day (94?) that the wave on the sluice wasn't to be taken lightly - you always went flat out through there to avoid problems. Always bemused me in recent years watching people paddling back up to play in it.

Rob Holdway

Post by Rob Holdway » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Just been across for my first taste of the new features. On the whole, very promising!

-Sluice gate, no issues (for me).
-Narrows after the start pool, now quite a sizable feature (stopper) with good and new breakouts either side.
-Good new breakouts continue to the old flintstones.
-Flintstones on the left now, makes for a change, more room to paddle back up from below too.
-Office, in my opinion, now much better for slalom. Basically, shallower angle creating less retentive wave, (good for crosses). River left eddy no longer recirculates, however, the right one does,quite a gradient flowing back up stream! Quiet a bit of messy water below the main wave though!

However, the word is that there will be more changes next week, hope these build on these improvements!

Yester Years Kayak

Post by Yester Years Kayak » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:01 pm

Early 90's the sluice was always less forgiving at lower water levels, and would retain anyone who didn't give it enough respect.

From everyone's comments i guess it is no different now from those days!