slalom boats for 100KG+ paddlers - slalom boats for heavier paddlers

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Yester Years Kayak

Post by Yester Years Kayak » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:17 pm

Has anyone got any suggestions about who might make slalom boats which would be suitable for 100KG+ paddlers?

Currently i paddle a Fury (in a plus size you could say), but would like to change this for a shorter length boats.

Cheers,
Paul.

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:43 am

If you feel lucky, The Caiman Premier works quite well for us 'more substantial' paddlers. Officially it does not go up to 100Kg, but I paddeld the demo boats Steve used to have when well over the official weight and did not have much problem.

You pays yer money and . . . . See posts by Steve and Vivienne :rock:
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Post by guest » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:48 am

Gala have just brought out the shorty 362 XL designed with Alexander Grimm take a look (gala site)

FatBoy

Post by FatBoy » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:40 pm

Premier works for me - I even ordered one under my weight (85kg vs 90kg) judging on how the 75kg demo boat felt and it sits fine in the water - wouldn't want it any higher. I expect a 90kg (which is the max) will paddle fine for 100kg, but it all depends how much over 100kg you are talking. That and you'd have to import it yourself now.

I used to paddle a DD Fuego which was built especially for a 105kg rugby player - maybe DD would do a Slingshot 105 if you asked nicely?

There was somebody in Div 3 last year paddling a C2 with a K1 deck/cockpit. Extreme solution but depends how much over 100kg we're talking.

Dutch Geezer

Post by Dutch Geezer » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:53 pm

My Slingshot 95 is built up the max that DD can do. I was paddling it when I was 105kg and it was fine, it did not feel small. I will be at the next Stone mini slalom if you want to try it.

We also have the Mark Broadhurst design XXX which is suitable for 100kg plus and it can be cut down in length to about 3.8metres. It has a large cockpit which makes it easier to get into and performs really well.

We have made a Scooby K1 and the feedback is that the paddler is really enjoying paddling it, looked good on the video as well.