Leptospirosis

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Yester Years Kayak

Post by Yester Years Kayak » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:13 pm

No idea of the origins of this or even if it is true, but given our sport it made me think of the irony........you have to feel sorry for the woman. So next time you go to Nottingham, avoid the coke!!!!!

"A woman went boating one Sunday taking with her some cans of coke which she put into the refrigerator of the boat. On Monday she was taken to the hospital and placed in the Intensive Care Unit. She died on Wednesday.

The autopsy concluded she died of Leptospirosis. This was traced to the can of coke she drank from, not using a glass. Tests showed that the can was infected by dried rat urine and hence the disease Leptospirosis. Rat urine contains toxic and deathly substances.

It is highly recommended to thoroughly wash the upper part of soda cans before drinking out of them.

The cans are typically stocked in warehouses and transported straight to the shops without being cleaned. A study at NYCU showed that the tops of soda cans are more contaminated than public toilets ( i.e.) full of germs and bacteria. So wash them with water before putting them to the mouth to avoid any kind of fatal accident."

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:55 pm

Don't panic, it's just another urban legend:
http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/b ... pirose.htm

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:16 pm

It'a not April Fools Day until the Tryweryn! :p :p :p

graemepaterson

Post by graemepaterson » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:01 pm

That particular story may well be false due to the fact that the process can not happen that quick... but in general iam afraid the way of contracting it is not an urban legend.

Out of the few people that catch leptospirosis each year, more are from drinking straight from bottles kept in rat infested pub cellars than from watersport...

i have personally had it and it is not nice...