Slalom Coaching

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
jke

Post by jke » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:12 pm

I'm trying to get on a slalom competition coaching course. Actually I've been trying since March 2005! I've contacted a number of people in slalom but I've got nowhere. I'm at a loss as to what to do next.

Last summer I ran slalom coaching sessions on our club nights and will be doing the same again soon. But as things stand, unless I've done the level 1 coaching I am supposed to be "supervised". I'm not new to canoeing, having been a L3 development coach for 25 years (but now sadly lapsed after recently coming back into the sport) and I'm now trying to get re-instated but that's ANOTHER story.

So, where do I go from here?

If anyone could give me some hints and tips on organising a group of 6 to 10 improvers for slalom coaching, or can get me a copy of the slalom coaching handbook (the only way of getting one seems to be to attend a course), oh or tell me how to actually get on a course, that would be great.

As there are no other slalom coaches in our club this is seriously affecting our ability to promote the sport.

John Kent
John Kent

Anne

Post by Anne » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:25 pm

Contact Alan Edge:

alan.edge@bcu.org.uk
he should be able to help you.

jke

Post by jke » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:40 pm

Anne I've tried contacting Alan. Last year, and 3 weeks ago when I sent to his BCU address and also his gbcanoeing address (which this time generated an Undelivered). Last year a reply by Don Raspin was copied to his gbcanoeing address which I assume was active at that time.
John Kent

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:53 pm

John

I beleive there is a L1 Slalom coaches course taking place a Grandtully between the Div1/2 and prem weekends, best person to contact regarding this is ECSTCoach@jsturgess.freeserve.co.uk
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

Anne

Post by Anne » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:30 pm

I will try and make contact with Alan next week, he only did a presentation on his role to the Slalom Committee last weekend! Part of his remit is definately on the organising of training for slalom coaches.

jke

Post by jke » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:28 pm

Geebs wrote:I beleive there is a L1 Slalom coaches course taking place a Grandtully

Thanks Geebs. Grandtully is a bit far (Wilts. though ready to travel a fair way). Where was this course advertised?
John Kent

mwilk

Post by mwilk » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:21 pm

I am supposed to be attending an L1 in Bala May 6/7. It may be provisional - you can check with Richard Lee <richardlee.wca@virgin.net>

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:24 pm

jke wrote:
Geebs wrote:I beleive there is a L1 Slalom coaches course taking place a Grandtully

Thanks Geebs. Grandtully is a bit far (Wilts. though ready to travel a fair way). Where was this course advertised?

It wasn't as far as I know, it is just a question of being in the loop I'm afraid.

Plus the fact there is one run there every year just about :;):
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching