C2 Ranking to be based on Men's Kayak

For
85%
Against
15%

Total votes: 13

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:21 pm

No one said it was a perfect solution, but an honest attempt to improve it.

Yes if two C2s get below 125% of teh winning man they both get 1000%

I did the calculations for all events I could find for last year, and there was 1 occasion where a C2 got 1000 points, (more where C2s dropped off the bottom!) I am sure the exec will keep an eye on the situation and if it lloks like 125% is too high, and more C2s are getting closer to 1000 then they will change it next season.

As for getting more points for getting closer - true, but last year at a prem race .01 of a second could have been the difference between 200 points and 133 - even less fair.

Give it a chance folks, and lets re invent it (or fine tune it) mid year.
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

frontman2

Post by frontman2 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:06 am

Would it not be more effective if the points scored were based on % of the maximum K1M points? i.e. The winning C2 gets say 125% of winning K1M so gets 1000 - 25% = 750 points. That way there is no problem with several C2s getting under the 125%. You get your % of the 1000 maximum. I'm curious that only one C2 achieved this last year, as this has been the minimum standard at selection for a while, and we've regularly placed under 120% since the qualifying standards were introduced. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something somewhere!:blush:

Additionally, the C2 winning boat at Tees Prem got 130% of winning K1M and scored 817 points, yet 3rd place at HPP Prem got 137% and scored 827 points. It all depends on how close the K1M race is. Not sure if this was the intended aim of the new scoring system. Seems a bit odd to me.

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:23 am

There does seem to be a huge differance in point's, the winning boat at Sowerby got 846 and the 2nd placed boat got 385 points which is a huge gap with the 4th boat gaining 77?

I suppose that it equals itself out to some extent, but if an event is quorate can not points be awarded as in other divisions? if not revert to this type of formula?
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:32 am

Frontman2 - yes this would be a possibility, but is not the one for this year, and was not thought of before the ACM. If there is a problem with many getting 1,000 then we should consider it next year. Returns us to percentages really - like in the good old days of reverse gates!

Geebs. The major reason for introducing the change was to prevent crews gaining too many points too easily and getting promoted beyond their ability. I know of crews that have gone to lots of Div 2s, enjoyed it but got promoted by being the best of three scratch C2s, none of which came anywhere near the middle, let alone top of the kayaks. If there is a big disparity in the points there will probably be a big disparity in the ability of the crews. This scheme is an attempt to allocate points on ability, not on who turns up.
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:27 pm

Canadian PAddler wrote:Geebs. The major reason for introducing the change was to prevent crews gaining too many points too easily and getting promoted beyond their ability. I know of crews that have gone to lots of Div 2s, enjoyed it but got promoted by being the best of three scratch C2s, none of which came anywhere near the middle, let alone top of the kayaks. If there is a big disparity in the points there will probably be a big disparity in the ability of the crews. This scheme is an attempt to allocate points on ability, not on who turns up.

Yes I can see that making sense :;):
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching