The end of HPP?

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
fison

Post by fison » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:46 pm

Im refering to train2win comment on Teesside.

I have paddled there since it has opened and yes the gates do get put into eddys when the rafts are running but i can asure people that if there is no rafts on and you ask the centre then they will be happy to put out the gates for people who would like to use them. just be flexable with there and see what you get.
as to Nottingham and rafts cant we they come to agreement over this should this happen in the furture
???
lets get it on

fishy

Post by fishy » Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:31 pm

Train2Win wrote:As I stated in the original post I the canoe slalom course is apparently the only part of the business making money, presumubly from rafting.

im pretty sure the rowing is making quite a bit of money as well - its cost loads to enter something like 50quid for a 4 and 90 quid of an 8

G.......

Post by G....... » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:27 pm

Anne wrote:It is correct thst Sport England has indicated their intentions to pull out of HPP,

My understanding is if they pulled out before their contract with Leisure Connections ends in 2009 they will inccur a very large financial penalty.
a fine bigger than the ""reported £1.5m loss a year"" i doubt very much...probably not even half

4 whole years x £1.5m loss = £6m

so we have

an insignificant fine .........or face a loss of over £6m.....i know what option i would choose if i was in charge

Anne

Post by Anne » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:27 pm

I guess these figures come from local press.............If it was as cut and dried as that I am sure they would have already pulled out........but they havn't and there is no set date as yet as to when they will. there is however a lot of work in the background and a lot of people/organisations who want the slalom course to remain functonal.....................I can only make comment on the official line as told. Speculation is bad news and not very constructive!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I receive any further official information I will share it with you all ASAP. In the mean time enjoy your paddling at HPP

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:41 am

Nottinghamshire County Council who own the Holme Pierrepont site have confirmed that they are committed to keeping the Holme Pierrepont site open. One of the quotes from a Councillor -"We will be the saviours of Holme Pierrepont". They are committed to the principle that there will be more general public usage, especially the people of Nottingham.

The only problem is that the County Council can not afford to fund the existing £1.4m annual deficit ( they already put in £250k per annum) and are therefore looking for alternative ways of running and developing the centre. This might involve such things as hotel and marina developments on part of the main lake, running, cycling and nature trails, an action sport area with climbing walls and skatepark or an Alton Towers type of theme park. There is also a proposed scheme to construct a parralel slalom course alongside the existing one to increase user capacity.

The County Council will perhaps be looking for partners to develop some of the options if they are approved after public consultations have taken place.

The BCU have stated that they are keen to have a say in the running of the slalom course.

There will be a gradual reduction of block bookings by teams and national squads so that more slots will become available to the general public. This will also result in additional income.

A firm of consultants have come up with several different outline proposals and during the next few months there will be chance for interested parties to comment.

Whatever happens, Sport England have confirmed their committment to the site until 2009.

This is the guist of a TV news programme which was shown last night
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

Richie

Post by Richie » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:20 pm

Check out this link:

Holme Pirrepont

A bit more information on the "closure of holme pierrepont". Getting people to vot for the sports village might help!

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:37 pm

An ideal opportunity to have your say to safeguard the future of HPP.

Well spotted Richie :D

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:46 pm

If anyone is interested here is a statement form the BCU on the subject. Clickty Click