sponsorship - help!

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
slalomsteve

Post by slalomsteve » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:48 am

Hi can any one give me any tips to getting sponosorship. because i have tried many people and they have all turned me down, any good tips?
If i do get what is a good amonut of money to be getting from the compony. How much do you get if you get sponsorship?
thanks steve ??? ???

GP

Post by GP » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:39 pm

i had a few back in the day and the best way i found was to compile all your best national and international results into a well worded letter...also include local newspaper articles and photos etc and send everywhere possible....£250 i would consider as a decent amount to achieve, but remember to keep them updated on how you are doing and include pictures of there name on your boat etc....

however without results you may as well not bother trying...train hard get results then try again

GP

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:14 am

As GP say's you need results first or something interesting that sponsors will like.

The sponsorship hunt is harder than it was many years ago as the tax laws changed and the incentives to potential sponsors to offset things against tax have gone :(

Try your local canoe shop where you buy your gear from they may not give you any money but they might give you a discount in exchange for some advertising, local business's, people you deal with or know, put some pictures and a story about yourself together and go and talk to them, if you send them a letter it will go in the bin without being read, that is where a lot of people fall down that try for sponsorship.

Unless you are a top athlete and well known you will be struggling to get a national company to sponsor you, hate to say it but results first money after!
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

Seedy Paddler

Post by Seedy Paddler » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:20 am

Depends a lot on whether you are going for genuine sponsorship or benevolent funding. The former being more lucrative but is established for mutual benefit, the latter tends to be less but more often is due to some form of relationship.

Suggest that you should compile the following:
1/ detailed objectives - i.e. what you want to achieve - promotion, selection, compete at worlds etc. - be realistic you ain't gonna get selection for the worlds if you are currently ranked Div 4.
2/ Annual plan - what events you will be at, what training events/camps you will be undertaking etc.
3/ detail a budget include entries, equipment, travel, accomodation etc. A sponsor may want to know if they will make a difference and it also helps them set a reasonable value for the deal
4/ Maintain a record of achievements, promotions, results, selection etc. Remember to talk up what you have achieved, we have a local lad that was recognised by his school not on his ranking results but for the fact he won an inquorate event at the Scottish Schools Championship.
5/ Put together a portfolio of any press articles, photos etc. It is often worth your while to supply Press releases to your local paper on a regular basis.
6/ If you have the kit play around with some of your own photos and insert the logos of your target onto your picture on the boat, helmet, bib etc. If you can show someone a photo in a national paper then a mock-up of the same photo with their logo they can equate the impact to press advertising a reasonable size picture can equate to advertising that would cost thousands.
7/ Show that you care for the sponsor, if you give out the impression that you are too busy for any media shots or interviews then you are liable to be overlooked.

For the benign benefactor - check out the Club - is there a pleasant old buffer that is actually a businessman in his own right that may be willing to shell out a few hundred for some reflected glory and the occasional on water support/rescue/ coaching advice. Have you a local supplier that may be willing to help in return for photos etc to attract more local sales.

Rewards can vary, one tip I was given at one of the many conferences I attended was to consider how often you get e.g. a 5x4 photo in the local paper, then find out from the paper how much a 5 x 4 Ad would cost. If you could consider that on each photo a sponsors logo was clearly visible then they have saved themselves the cost of that Ad. Split it 50/50 with the sponsor and there you have a pot of cash that would be justifiable and mutually beneficial.

Remember don't give up - looking for sponsors is like playing the lottery - you may end up with nothing but if you don't play you will never get the jackpot!
:cool:

canoebabe88

Post by canoebabe88 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:15 pm