2012 funding

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Pingu

Post by Pingu » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:24 pm

The BOA and UK sport have been lobbying the chancellor, Gordon Brown for an extra £44m a year to boost performances at the London Olympics.

My mate, Gordy tells me he can only afford £20m a year. (He's going to tell the rest of you in tomorrow's budget).

Still, it sound a lot of dosh. I wonder how much canoeists can expect?

Watch this space.
Out of Darkness cometh Light

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:38 pm

"There would be £600m available to fund world class British athletes" http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4832848.stm

How much for canoeing?

Pingu

Post by Pingu » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:36 pm

Good news. It's more than he told me!!

Gordy says that he* "will provide funding of £200m for elite athletes, including paralympic athletes, for the next 7 years, helping them to achieve their medal ambitions".

Thats about £30m a year.

In addition, £300m will come from the National Lottery and the balance of £100m is expected to come from from the private sector.

.... also £2m over two years to "encourage elite sportsmen and women to put something back into grassroots sport and inspire young people to take up sport"

Well done Gordy!!

:) * Obviously when I say "he", I really mean "all of us" :)

Post by guest » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:42 pm

Brill news for World Class, can the programme expand a bit again following the printed criteria in February which cut back? Hope so, support all our up and coming keen hopefuls! :D

Pingu

Post by Pingu » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:18 pm

UK Sport have announced how each Olympic sport (other than football and tennis) will benefit from Gordy's cash.

Canoeing gets £10.8m over the 3 years to Beijing, with an increase of 23% on its original funding for the current year. Other than athletics, the sports with the highest funding are all water based, with canoeing getting the 6th highest amount overall.

After Beijing, the performance of our competitors will be reviewed before the 2012 funding is decided.

BBC Sport

Great news.

:)