Proteus Club Burns Down!! - Illegitimate sodomites!!!

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:02 pm

This afternoon (17 Feb)the Proteus Canoe Club burnt down. There is now one wall standing (drunkenly). and a sodden mess of blackened timbers.

We are now getting the police reports, so we can get the insurance claim in, then we will be trying to rebuild and restock.

Hope to have some pictures on the Proteus web site by Monday - its sad- all the boats gone, the slalom gear, paddles, lifejackets, lawn mower -everything. :(

So if anyone knows of a spare building we would love one. Or wants to donate boats/equipment please contact me.
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Kev.S

Post by Kev.S » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:35 pm

Really sorry to hear the bad news CP, the little B*$^#@!S want stringing up. :angry:

If its any use to you I have a set of 195cm Schlegel Duralen paddles you can have.

Kev
To err is human, if you really want to screw up, use a computer!!

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:36 pm

Sounds ideal as club paddles Thanks Kev.
All gifts gratefully received :D
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.

Kev.S

Post by Kev.S » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:39 pm

No problem I will give them to you at Shepperton.

Packers' Slalomist

Post by Packers' Slalomist » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:13 pm

There is a pic at The Packers Website.

Chris Wilde

Post by Chris Wilde » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:02 pm

Gutted to hear the sad news about the clubhouse, I think all of our Slalom paddlers at Viking regard Proteus as our closest and most friendly club locally.
I will talk to the committee at the next meeting to see how we can help you re-build the club, I know its only early but let us know when you have plans. I know I have a few sets of paddles etc. sitting around, which of course can be yours. Lets see if we can't make the proteus clubhouse better than before and hopefully a little more fireproof!
In the meantime let us know how we can help even if its loans of equipment or use of our facilities (if you've nothing closer) if you have any club activites to save.

Keep in touch

Chris

jim croft

Post by jim croft » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:37 am

Sorry to hear the sad news, I have a set of Ainsworth Paddles you are welcome to plus a few odds & sods let me know if you are interested

Jim

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:01 am

We were insured - so will have some money to replace kit/building etc. The question is when? well the club kit anyway, personal kit was left at owners risk, so many of us have lost boats, including a young lad who started at our winter event, bought his first slalom boat, and has now lost it.

In the meantime we will be running using kit that we have at home. Loan equipment will help us to keep people afloat until we get some replacements.

We will be at the weir from about 2 tomorrow if anyone wants to come over and commiserate/lend kit/ogle the ruins as shown on the packers site.

Thanks for the offers/sympathy, you have made an old man feel almost emotional!

fison

Post by fison » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:19 pm

That is so sad

I hope that if it was little thugs then we can go and burn there house down and see how they like it

sorry fison :(
lets get it on

James Dixon

Post by James Dixon » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:40 pm

Sorry to hear about the club house - hope you manage to sort everything out soon.

I have a Paragon 75 (4m but still does the job) that you can have if you're interested - I know of a certain Proteus paddler who is often at HPP and might be persuaded to pick it up for you...

Just let me know so that I can arrange things.

James

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:02 pm

Yes please James, I will talk to the paddler tomorrow, I am sure we can twist some arms.
Perhaps Kev might know someone who goes to HPP on Thursdays who could pass the paddle on the same way.
Thanks

Kev.S

Post by Kev.S » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:50 am

Way ahead of yer CP, I have already spoken to a certain young lady!!

I'm at HPP Tuesday and hopefully she will be to. :p

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:50 am

Updated the Proteus web site with some pictures, more to come later.

For the avoidance of doubt WE WILL BE RUNNING THE MAY SLALOM, and want lots of people to come to support us.

We will be meeting as usual, using whatever gear we have or is donated, and would love to see anyone who wants some gate time. (We have four gates still over the river as training gates. More will follow as we rebuild)

Jon Wood

Post by Jon Wood » Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:33 pm

Colin,
my commiserations.
If I can't get anything to you earlier, is anyone from Proteus/Packers going to the NEC exhibition next month?

Maybe you could organise a kit collection bin!

Chris Wilde

Post by Chris Wilde » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:59 pm

Let us know what gear you need to borrow for the slaloms closer to the time, I'm sure you'll have other offers and have some your own kit sorted, let us know what you need, I can get it to you, gates, catering equipment, catering tents, etc. I'm sure it will be no problem, (Jim has all my contact details).

Chris